• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo Questions

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone help me with a couple of poo-related questions please?

Fay normally has lovely big golden poos. She is on Allen & Page and has always had very healthy poos. But over the last few days or so some of her poos have been even larger, misshapen like there is the amount of two in one long piece, and they are also more slippery/slimy in appearance compared to normal.

Another question is that Starbuck has been having excess cecotrophs for a while, because of this we are gradually changing him on to A&P as he has been on Excel. Earlier this week he had excess cecotrophs that we all strung together :?

We have also started giving them all Green Oat Hay to help keep their guts healthy.

I dont know if its anything to be concerned about and what we might do to help.

Thanks
Helen

Are they moulting ?

That's what I thought. If you pull their hard round poos apart are there a lot more hairs in them than normal?

I am odd as I do this quite regularly:oops: Normally when they are not moulting you can barely see any hairs.

Good luck.

A little but they seem to have done their main moult. Fay did this weird thing over the last few weeks where she pulled the fur out of her dewlap/under her chin (she is neutered) - no nest building or anything.

Fay is still moulting, more than Starbuck I would say, and she did have hairs in her poo, though not excessive.

Does that mean it is something that will pass on its own?

it does sound like it could be fur in the gut to me. When ours are having a moult they will sometimes produce irregular shaped poos (like little rocks) but also will produce poos strung together. I would imagine that if the bunnies have some fur in their guts the production is slowed down hence the mishapes. I'd have to say that I wouldn't be too worried at this time of year (moult is normal) provided everything else is normal with your bunnies.

All mine seem to be doing the odd stringy poo at the moment but they are moulting heavily so I'm not too worried.

When Poppy is moulting, despite brushing - which I would recommend daily during these times, she also does the bigger longer droppings you describe - not strung together with fur - but almost as if she has done a double dropping! :? When opened up they are just normal droppings, no fur present, but sometimes they can be wetter in appearance and these ones tend to have fur in them... if that makes sense. Basically I think that the fur does cause a bit of slowing and so the rhythm of bun's guts gets a little out of sync momentarily and you end up with odd shaped droppings, some wetter, some with fur, just as the fur is passed, maybe even a caecotroph (the temporary slowing slightly unbalances the caecal flora for a moment too) and then the droppings after this return to normal. If they are a good size and the fur is coming out, I agree you do not need to worry, just keep up the fibre and damp greens - to keep everything hydrated and moving nicely. :)

Thanks for your advice everyone, good to know its nothing to worry about too much at this time of year. Their appetite for hay, especially the Green Oat Hay, is very good and they all love their veggies so hopefully things will keep going through nicely.

Back