• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do some buns just naturally produce too much poo?

grainy

Warren Scout
My bun has been on a hay only diet since saturday and is still producing too much of those special poos and squashing them all over the floor and his paws.

Could it be that he just naturally does this and its not to do with veg?

(He does seem to be having less squashy poos since I stopped feeding veg but they have not stopped altogether, today he left me two big special poos and a few little bits which he didnt eat)

Has he been examined by a Vet ?

It may not be that he is producing 'too many' caecotrophs but that he cant eat them straight from his bum. Reasons for this could be spinal pain, dental problems, stress................

The problem can be they produce too many or they are producing a normal amount but not eating them, or a combination of the two.
Do you see him eating them at all?

It sounds like the hay only diet is helping so I would keep that up and it may gradually decline. The issue is related to the bacteria in the gut so it can take a bit for them to sort themselves out and get back on track.

Does he have any physical problems that could be effecting his ability to eat them? For example being over weight, having a large dewlap, mobility problems etc.

If the vet gives the all clear and all the other risk factors for not consuming caecotrophs... I just wanted to say that clearing up the tummy of a bun with quite a bad dysbiosis - can take more like weeks - months in some cases.

On a hay only diet it took one of my buns 6 weeks, it took our other bun nearly 3 months! Establishing a healthy gut flora takes time :)

But yes, vet check first! :wave:

i have been having this same issue with my new bunny Holly. shes been here for two weeks and i think she is eating some but she is leaving a few piles for me to pick up (joy) ive been told by loads of people now not to worry.. shes well and bright and binkying so if they clear up great if not.. yuk but im not going to worry.

im also reintroducing veg into her diet as removing it made not one bit of difference.

do the poops smell bad? i find that Hollys are very faint smelling yet Alvins when he left some just before a bad stasis episode ponged really really bad :shock:

Not been to a vet yet. I will be going next weekend for checkup.

I have got him the vitamin recommended to put in his water. He has had that since yesterday.

I have seen him eating poo but off the floor not from his bottom. The poo doesnt smell very bad.

I got him from rspca about 4 weeks ago so he was given healthy thumbs up from them not long ago.

He hops all over the place and is not overweight.

Back