• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to protect a rabbit from the sun?

andy5898

Warren Scout
How do I protect my little rabbit from the sun? Is it ok to put neutral suntan lotion on him?

Not sure what to do to protect his ears!

Cheers

Best way is to provide plenty of shade for him. Keep the hutch out of direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day if possible and put a seet over the top of his run to keep the sun off. It can be secured with pegs :wave:

I wouldn't put sun cream on as it may not be compatible with his skin.

I agree with earlier posters.
Provision of shade is key. Most buns prefer to be out of very hot midday sun anyway so will seek shade.
There is an animal sunblock available here (where pale animals really do risk sun damage to skin & eyes) for cats, dogs, & farm animals which I've used on those animals. However it is very thick & gloopy & does not say it is bunny safe. And as I said buns are really good shade seekers so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I use a parasol umberella which completely covers them...I also place a pop bottle of cold water, buns will lie next to them to cool themselves...I also add ice cubes to the water bottle to stop it from heating

There is a really good article about keeping buns safe in summer in the Summer edition of Rabbiting On magazine from the RWAF.

They say providing shade and cool areas of the garden is the best thing to do.

But it does also say that a sun tan lotion for babies is ok to put on their ears but they are likely to lick it off so you may have to re-apply it. But it says shade is the best thing you can do.

They also say about using an empty plastic bottle, fill it with water and freeze it then wrap it in a towel and place it in their run or bedding.

I worry about Twinkle & Star's ears as they love sunbathing!

you can get a gazebo for around £15 in places like b&q and home base. Provides protection from the sun for them and shelter from the rain for you when you're cleaning them out.

13-5-10006.jpg

This is what we used today. :)

I have a lot of trees in and around my garden so get a lot of natural, but patchy shade, and I use childrens sun cream on my bunny and piggys ears just incase.

Back