• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strikeback and Johnsons Cage and Hutch Spray

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
My poor little piggies got mites from a bad batch of hay (they've had veterinary treatment don't worry) but today I bought

Strikeback Hutch and Kennel Protector to spray in the piggie hutch and on my new hutch in the hope that it doesnt rot.
Johnson's Cage and Hutch Insect Spray for the piggie hutch.
Johnson's Insecticidal Spray Extra to put on the piggies.

I also have Fuciderm from the vets to rub on the pigs but I've heard this is just a steriod cream.

So.. has anybody ever used any of these products? Can I combine the Fuciderm and the Insecticidal Spray on the pigs? And can I use the Strikeback and the Johnson's at the same time?

I realise I should have asked before I bought the stuff :oops:

TBH i wouldnt touch anything medicinal made by Johnsons with a barge pole. i dont know about those specific products, but the flea treatments etc are well known to cause fur loss, skin burn, hives, allergic reactions, itching etc.

If you havent used or opened them i'd take them back and ask the vet what products they recommend. Frontline do some home sprays but not sure if they are for mites?

I agree about the Johnsons products, also avoid Bob Martin stuff as it's just as useless. Don't know much about the strikeback tho i'm afraid, sorry.

I used bephar...... anti parasite spot on treatment when two guineas i had came to me with mites. It worked realy well, and the mites cleared up within 24 hours. it contains ivermectin, which is generally used by vets to treat mites.

I used bephar...... anti parasite spot on treatment when two guineas i had came to me with mites. It worked realy well, and the mites cleared up within 24 hours. it contains ivermectin, which is generally used by vets to treat mites.

Yeah, I used that when my rats got lice (who the hell knows where from) and it cleared it up nice and quick.

Thanks guys, I have previously used tea tree cream by Johnsons on the piggies but was told on a piggie forum not to as tea tree is bad for them! so i stopped obv. I will return the spray for the animals, but the hutch spray should be ok right?

the active ingredient in the johnsons spray is permethrin. mine still have it after 2 treatments :( have to go back for a 3rd :( what can cause mites apart from hay? i assume its the hay it was awful

Back