• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gut stasis

fion

New Kit
my rabbit, jelly stop eating yesterday all of a sudden- i have no idea why. he was totally normal the day before eating and running. it just happen overnight. His ears felt so cold and he just won't eat or drink- other than a few mint leafs he had. i brought him to the vet the today morning asap as i felt that he wasnt improving. Just as i expected, it was gut stasis. the doctor gave him baytril, metoclopromide, rabutudube and some fluids for injections and other as medication. now, at night, after medication, his condition has not improve. he lies in the cage in the same position the whole day and look so weak. he wont even bite me when i touch his body. (he usually nips me) i forced feed him critical care and had to bring him to his litter box to pee. he looks alert, ears twiching but he just wont eat! he drank water only. what do i do? jelly doesnt want to eat anything not even his most favourite pellets and hay. i put vegetables at his nose mint leaf, parsley, but he just ain't interested. His ears still feel cold to the touch. please tell me what to do to stimiulate his appetite.

and will he.. die? ):

Can you ring the vet again and explain that he is no better? The vet should be able to give more pain killer by now to help him feel better and also it should be time for some more metclopromide.

This reallly does sound serious.

It sounds as though he needs to be hospitalised for intensive care. Can you call the Vet to request this.

Did the Vet examine your Rabbit's teeth ?

Back to the vets for defo, he needs more gut stimulant and pain killers. If you cant get him in tonight for any reason Id reccommend syringing him critical care and water every couple of hours all through the night to keep his tummy going, and get him there first thing in the morning. Also its imperative to keep him warm, a hot water bottle or heat pad under his bed is ideal as lying on it will have the maximum warming effect and soothe his poorly tum.
Good luc, i hope your buns ok xxx

as already said. i think you bunny needs admitting and put on a drip with some very strong pain killer.

once when Alvin was as poorly as your bunny sounds he was admitted overnight put on a drip and given vetergesic (sp) he was home the next day as if nothing happened but he really needed the drugs and fluids to save him, i truely beleive without hospitilisation i would of lost him :(.

sending loads and loads of vibes xxxxxxxx

Both of my buns have done this at different times! Daisy stops and goes quite lethargic and wants to lie down, she gets little blockages normally I can give her some painkiller, chase her around for half an hour then tempt her with strong smelling herbs like basil and parsley! If that doesn't work she needs admitting asap! When Dudley stops it's different he's still lively he runs up to the food but won't eat then runs off and behaves normally! This means he needs to have his teeth filed down, it's very common in rabbits! Dudley had a small spur that had grown on one of his back teeth and it was sore for him to eat so he didn't! His was right at the very back a place the vet can't see with the thing they put in their mouth he had a mild sedation so the vet could take a better look and saw it!! When bunnies stop eating it is very serious and you need to find out why quickly! The vet can feel for a blockage and take a concious xray! I hope your bunny will be ok!!

thanks all for the advise :)
he got me very shocked when he poop out jelly like substance wrapped around his poops in the morning. however his appetite improved as he is having more greens but still no hay. yes i have been increasing the critical care and the painkillers are already given. but his ears sometimes feel hot and cold. overall he look alert but he doesn't want to run about. his teeth are fine too as the vet stated. i cant afford to put him with the vet though. i think it's okay becos my other rabbit recovered well after he got this too.

one more to ask if you peeps don't mind. both my rabbits are neutured. but after the operation they started fighting non stop. they had been best friends for the past 2 years until the op. i have since seperated them but they have been fighting for 2 months already. any ideas how to make them love each other again?

Back