• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your pairs / groups nip each other??

kaths101

Warren Veteran
:wave: I have a newly bonded group that are getting on well, but sometimes they nip each other - Ive just seen Sooty nip and box Mittens for no reason with her front paws and now they are sat next to each other - they also all sometimes have a little chasing / nipping session .... there's never any fur and they are sit down and snuggle afterwards.

Oreo also nips Charlie sometimes - though I think its because Charlie tends to do big binky dashes every now and then that go on for about 2 minutes and I think it annoys Oreo :roll::lol:

Is this all normal?

Also any tips to stop chasing at feeding time - or is this also normal?

My two dont nip at all now, but to start with they would both give tiny little nudges/nips to show when they had had enough with each other.

They chase all the time when they know they are going to be fed. As soon as I have veg or pellets in my hand they hop back into the cage and start circling straight away. I stand there and wait for them to stop and then feeding them. They are slowly learning that they wont get the food if they circle and only do it once or twice now :lol:

Carlo nips Bobby doesn't seem to bother her much she just jumps out the way, he nipped her cheek last night, and then nipped my knee:shock:

my 3 have been bonded for about 4-5 weeks now. Mostly they are very snuggly, but they chase and nip each others bums occasionally, especially when Kylo is sneezing as i think it unsettles them. Foodwise the girls share a double bowl and Kylo has his own so there's less pressure.
If they get really chasy and wont snap out of it, i "naughty step" them - put all three in an empty dog crate with only hay, no litter tray etc. It snaps them out of their weird mood and usually because there is nothing else to do them settle down, flop out, groom eachother etc, so i think its good for their bond. Usually i give them 2-3 hours in there before returning to their normal accomodation. Only had to do this twice so far.

Yep mine do, Poppy and Sweetpea have been together 3 years and Poppy still chases and nips her..chasing at feeding time also normal..in my house anyway! :lol:

My 3 have been bonded for a year now and the other day Daisy nipped Toffees bum for no reason! :shock:
But she could have been upset because fuzzy wont stop humping her!! :? :roll:

I have 3 pairs, 2 pairs I've still to experience chasing, fur pulling, nipping, one has been bonded 2 years, the others since November 2009. The other pair Lenny and Betty, bonded fine, Lenny was abit chasey and dominant at first, no fur pulling since he has no teeth :lol:, but now they're settled perfectly.

So can't say I've experienced it. xx

Walnut nips Bell and boxes her sometimes (not hurting her) but Bell just runs out of the way and leaves him to get angry at something else, they have only been bonded a week and a bit.
But even with Cranberry his sister Walnut used to nip and box her and she just did the same as Bell and try to get out of the way and just go along with what he wants.

Smudge and Nutmeg sometimes fur pull but not nip. The other two are so laid back that I was amazed when Mini started mounting Mischa earlier. Normally they can't be bothered with all that.

Eric is a nipper!
He nips Honey and Ernie when they are in his way under "His" Chair. I was hoping he would "grow" out of it, but I think he is just a grumpy bun at times. He does snuggle with them both though. I think he just likes to show them who the boss is (even though they Know it already),:lol::lol::lol:

thanks everyone.... thats good to know - they never do hurt each other, I just dont want it to go to far and they do hurt each other! usually its over food or ones sitting where the other wants to.

beki - saying that - Charlie always binkies off when hes been nipped too - which is usually the cause in the first place - Charlie seems to be hyper when everybun else is chilling :roll::lol:

none of my pairs do it - but the groups I now have ( a threesome and a threesome - was a foursome but TOO nippy) all nip.

One of ours does it to the other to make them move out of the way. He will nip me if I'm holding him sometimes too. As long as they aren't looking too aggressive - head down, ears back, tail down, ready to attack - I would think it is just a dominance issue. If you think the bond is breaking down, you could do what another poster suggested and confine them to a small space for a while.

Im sure its not breaking down as its not very frequent - maybe once a day and theres never fur, I think its just a get out of the way sort of thing - hopefully.

Back