• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More Worries About Sir Victor :-(-U/D Its his Spine :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
After a good 10 days of no 'tucked up abdomen' episodes today they have started again, only MUCH worse :cry:

However, this time it is definately related to him getting up and stretching. During an attack he also goes lame on his right hind leg. On examination his abdomen feels 100% normal including kidneys, bladder and liver, just as it was last time. But now on trying to extend his hind legs backwards there is marked resistance when I get them mid-way to being fully extended :? There does not appear to be any sensitive areas around his hips or spine when he is in the normal 'buddha' position :?

There is most definately something very wrong but I have no idea what. We are seeing C again tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Vibes for Sir Victor lets hope C can get to the bottom of what the problem is and sort the handsome fellow out!

Jane, this is going to sound like i'm obsessed with spinal issues - which admittedly I am at the moment... but I am wondering if this could be the case with Victor?
(Nino can not fully bend at the base of the lumbar spine now due to his spondylosis at this point) I'm not suggesting it is the same at all... I wonder if he could have a trapped nerve root or something?

I hope you get some more answers or narrow your search a bit tomorrow morning. Hoping Sir Victor is ok tonight x

Jane, this is going to sound like i'm obsessed with spinal issues - which admittedly I am at the moment... but I am wondering if this could be the case with Victor?
(Nino can not fully bend at the base of the lumbar spine now due to his spondylosis at this point) I'm not suggesting it is the same at all... I wonder if he could have a trapped nerve root or something?

I hope you get some more answers or narrow your search a bit tomorrow morning. Hoping Sir Victor is ok tonight x

The weird thing is that he shows no areas of tenderness all along his spine or hips :?
The only abnormality is his resistance to full backward extension of his hind legs. More resistance in his right hind leg than his left :?
He is fine about rotating the hip joint :?

C said she very much doubts that an Xray will be helpful :?

Nino's arthritis is worse in his right hip than his left... and he can not fully extend without resistance if made to stand up on his back legs... he doesn't arch his back.. it's stiff and rigid. He never had any tenderness either down his spine, or around the hips, although i'm not convinced as when massaging his tum when it is bloated I went to wide and low and he flinched over his hips once or twice in the past, but that could just be co-incidental. It's too easy for me when caught up in this issue with my own bun to then start seeing it in everyone else's! :roll: I don't think I can be objective at the moment. :(
When Nino has pain he now sticks his hips up in the air - it looks like tummy pushing to the floor but isn't as he doesn't have gas if it hasn't kicked into full stasis or bloat.
Like I say - just our observations here - probably too easy to attribute them to Victor. I'm sure your super vet will do whatever she feels is necessary, or not.

I wouldn't rule out an Xray as a last resort if you really can't get to the bottom of things, but to get the right pics they need bun under a GA.
Good luck tomorrow. :)

What a worry :cry: I hope you and your vet can get to the bottom of it soon. Lots of nose rubs for Victor boy. :love:

Don't know if it is any help but we had a bunny last year that went off her back legs when she was in severe pain. To start with we obviously thought there was a problem with her legs, but they were actually fine it was just her way of reacting to pain else where in the body :?

Its not something like a lux patella is it. It is quite sore when it happens. Our Bruno, a dog ( I know) gets it every so often- his leg stick and it either pops back into place itself or I sometimes have to click it in. He is a bit lame and sore but after a day or so you wouldn't know it had happened. However with a rabbit, I would assume it could put them off their food and would affect them more because the put so much pressure on the back legs- a dog can favour and rest a back leg more.
Another thought would be damage to his cruciate ligament, same issues invloved as for the lux patella.

Its not something like a lux patella is it. It is quite sore when it happens. Our Bruno, a dog ( I know) gets it every so often- his leg stick and it either pops back into place itself or I sometimes have to click it in. He is a bit lame and sore but after a day or so you wouldn't know it had happened. However with a rabbit, I would assume it could put them off their food and would affect them more because the put so much pressure on the back legs- a dog can favour and rest a back leg more.
Another thought would be damage to his cruciate ligament, same issues invloved as for the lux patella.

No I am pretty certain its not a luxating patella/cruciate problem.
Also, he never goes off his food and the attacks of acute pain only last for about 30 seconds :? He sort of 'freezes' and sucks his abdomen up under his ribcage and then starts 'walking' like a dog rather than hopping :cry: Today was the first time I noticed that he also went lame on his right hind leg :? :cry:

It's a real mystery this one :?

Victor had a long consult with C this morning.
C is certain that his problem is spondylosis in his lumber spine. She is of the opinion that it is being exacerbated due to the fact that in trying to create a new breed a Rabbit has been produced with a spine that is far too long. Rather like the problems a Dachshund can have :cry:

C said that an Xray would need a GA and in her opinion it would be an unnecessary proceedure. Victor is to start daily Metacam for the next 2 weeks aswell as massage therapy.

The condition is degenerative

:cry:

Great idea to mess with nature wasnt it.................

Last edited:
Sorry its not better news, but at least you have answers and know what you are dealing with. we have had a few bunnies here with the same condition and they have been managed successful with pain relief for many years :)

I'm sorry to hear this. - Hope Sir Victor can get back to his regal self with your TLC.

Spondylitis also occurs in people (my Mum has been recently diagnosed) and I wonder if there are any therapies that could also be used for buns? May be worth investigating

C is certain that his problem is spondylosis in his lumber spine. She is of the opinion that it is being exacerbated due to the fact that in trying to create a new breed a Rabbit has been produced with a spine that is far too long. Rather like the problems a Dachshund can have :cry:

C said that an Xray would need a GA and in her opinion it would be an unnecessary proceedure. Victor is to start daily Metacam for the next 2 weeks aswell as massage therapy.

I'm so sorry to hear your news :cry: Nino's Xrays revealed spondylosis at the lumbo-sacral junction and from what I understand and have observed when bunny hops, this is the point that takes most of the wear and tear when the spine is flexing. I am certain that daily pain meds will make him feel much more comfortable and if he is anything like my boy he will racing around a lot faster than he should be and feeling an awful lot better in two weeks time. :)

Big hug for Sir Victor x

Poor Sir Victor:cry:

I know he will get the best care with you, and you have such a fantastic vet that you can trust, sending lots of vibes for him:love:

Back