• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fingers Crossed

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I have had a chat with our vets today about the possibility of them offering conscious dentals. They haven't ruled it out and are now discussing it :) Hopefully I will find out tomorrow when we take Harvey for his check up.

If they decide against it they are happy to work with Guy Carter in Watford if we have to use him instead :)

It would be great if we could get the dentals done 2 minutes from our house, but Guy Carter is an excellent bunny vet so would be worth the journey.

Conscious dentals are not something we would consider routinely but for bunnies like Harvey where a GA is just not possible they will be a life saver :)

That would be great...and so much less of a worry for them going under GA, especially if they need regular treatment :D

Oh thats good news! I so far haven't had to use our vets for awake dentals, in Coventry, but its nice to know that there are places that do it close by so fingers crossed for you :)

Conscious dentals are not something we would consider routinely but for bunnies like Harvey where a GA is just not possible they will be a life saver :)

I think this is the critical issue isn't it Liz. I'm completely against them, but then if faced with your situation with Harvey where it is a matter of life or death then perhaps I too would be swayed, I don't know. What I do know is that you always make the best decisions for the buns in your care. :)

I think this is the critical issue isn't it Liz. I'm completely against them, but then if faced with your situation with Harvey where it is a matter of life or death then perhaps I too would be swayed, I don't know. What I do know is that you always make the best decisions for the buns in your care. :)

Thank you :) we have never needed to consider them up until now so count ourselves very lucky. As harvey has already had a conscious dental with the vets he was handed into I know he can cope with them which is very important. Given his liver issues and severe weight loss we know there is no way he would survive a GA at the moment.

We are hoping that his teeth will actually be Ok for a bit longer, but I haven't checked his mouth myself as I didn't want to stress his breathing further.

Well as you might have guessed we didn't really get round to discussing dentals that much this morning:roll: But it seems they have decided against doing conscious dentals just because the chance of slipping and the bun bleeding to death is just too great. Which is fair enough.

The hospital that Harvey is in now also wont do them because you just can't access the back molars properly consciously. And given that Harvey's back teeth had been missed during his last conscious dental I again agree.

As I said before we have never had them done before and I was only willing to consider it because I thought Harvey had had a good conscious dental already and his teeth could be managed this way, but this is now not the case.

So maybe it is best for Harvey to have found a good place that has excellenct facilities and good GA techniques :)

Well as you might have guessed we didn't really get round to discussing dentals that much this morning:roll: But it seems they have decided against doing conscious dentals just because the chance of slipping and the bun bleeding to death is just too great. Which is fair enough.

The hospital that Harvey is in now also wont do them because you just can't access the back molars properly consciously. And given that Harvey's back teeth had been missed during his last conscious dental I again agree.

As I said before we have never had them done before and I was only willing to consider it because I thought Harvey had had a good conscious dental already and his teeth could be managed this way, but this is now not the case.

So maybe it is best for Harvey to have found a good place that has excellenct facilities and good GA techniques :)

Will you be moving all your buns there?
They sound like they have been fab for you.

Will you be moving all your buns there?
They sound like they have been fab for you.

We need to discuss it as there are a few problems with it. For one we need a car to get there and with Steves hours and him moving to Watford next month that could be a real problem. Especially when we sometimes take 10 or more rabbits to the vets each week :?

Plus there is the cost. I shall see how much Harvey's bill is tomorrow, but a lot of their costs are double what our vets charge :( That would be OK with one or two bunnies but with our bills we would end up bankrupt in a couple of months if it doubled :?

Back