• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Insurance 'v' Saving Up!

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
:wave:

Here I am with all my questions again, sorry to be a pest but I just want to know I'm doing things right.

I'm thinking of getting bunny insurance for my two but OH thinks that instead I should put the money I would spend on insurance aside each month and just save up so that I can pay for any treatment they may need as and when.

Its a good idea but obviously it will take time to save up a decent amount and I'd hate for something to go wrong with the buns and not have the money for the absolute BEST care!

However, my vet has said that should a bill come to over £300 then he'll negotiate payment terms, which is good and we could definitely afford up to £300 if and when.

So, basically, what would you do? Get the insurance at £20 a month (bearing in mind the excesses and treatments not covered) or put that money in a savings account to dip into as and when the buns need treatment? :?

I save up my money. I have a savings account just for the animals that has a fair amount in it at the moment, although I've been saving it forever!
I have worked it out in the past and I have so far spent much less than I would have if I'd gone the insurance route.
BUT
If I were hit with an unexpected, extremely high vet bill I think I would struggle (though I would make sure to find the money somewhere). I'm just hoping that isn't going to happen, but obviously I can never be sure it won't.

I'd go with insurance every time.
It's know it's not a bunny, but my Bridge cat had a blocked bladder 4 times in about 5 weeks and had to stay overnight at the vet's quite a few times so the "pot" we had didn't have time to grow again before we had to pay out. Luckily our vet allowed us to pay the 2nd, 3rd and 4rth bills up.

Just another factor is that I've had a vet recommended to me who, if you're insured (and your insurance covers it) only ask you to pay the excess on the policy and they will claim direct from the insurers .... which seems a good idea.

However, I could be paying insurance fees for years before ever needing to make a claim.

But there is peace of mind!

Oh this isn't going to be easy! lol

:?

Go for insurance. Any money in a savings account will be used up very quickly if your rabbit develops a serious, complicated and recurring illness. With PetPlan you can continue to claim every year as long as you renew the insurance, up to their anual cover limit.

Insurance starts a couple of weeks after the start date I believe:?

So lets say: Had bunny for two weeks, bunny breaks leg:(

Saved: £20, not enough for a consult, let alone x-rays etc

Insurance: Will cover up to (Mine is I think) £2000

No option in my mind:? Definitely get your buns insured and then you can save for something nice:wave:

thanks for all your replies, I think I'll go with the insurance, it will give me peace of mind that no matte when, in an emergency, its covered!

Anyone had an experiences using exotic direct? They're a sister company of petplan but seem to be cheaper and the excess is less! (The T&C's seem to be pretty similar too).

Or anyone know of any other bunny insurers out there? They seem to be the main two that I can find online.

I'm having this dilemma at the moment. I'd be interested in people's reviews of the insurance companies. How willing they are to pay out, if they try to wriggle out of things, etc.

I'm having this dilemma at the moment. I'd be interested in people's reviews of the insurance companies. How willing they are to pay out, if they try to wriggle out of things, etc.

pet plan have been great for me. admittedly im still waiting for the cheque for Alvin but i think the first one got lost in the post and the 2nd one hasnt turned up yet!! another phonecall on sat if it aint here lol

they paid for Alvins first dental as a good will gesture too but will not cover anymore if he needs them

amazingly they paid for Pearls home visit even though as a rule they dont unless the vet confirms its necessary so i think a lot also depends on how the vets fill out the forms.

Alvin has had stasis several times and they have paid up each time even the emergency costs. the current cheque im waiting for is for the blood tests he had again all because of the stasis.

i think they are great :D

Last edited:

All I know really is that the more you pay in premium the more likely they are to pay out. Pet Plan are one of the best ones. I had my previous cat insured with Tesco, insured him at 13 years old as he was a rescue and they had no issues, then when I came to claiming for a dental for him they told me he was too old and they shouldn't have covered him in the first place, and no I couldn't have my 2 years worth of of payments back, So don't recommend them! I would go with personal recommendation tbh.

All I know really is that the more you pay in premium the more likely they are to pay out. Pet Plan are one of the best ones. I had my previous cat insured with Tesco, insured him at 13 years old as he was a rescue and they had no issues, then when I came to claiming for a dental for him they told me he was too old and they shouldn't have covered him in the first place, and no I couldn't have my 2 years worth of of payments back, So don't recommend them! I would go with personal recommendation tbh.

Blimey that's a bit harsh!!

Boooo Hisssss Tesco!

:wave:

Hiya

I've just spoken to both Petplan and Exotic Direct on the phone.

PETPLAN:
I got a quote for 2 bunnies online (10% discount) and it worked out at £212.76 per year, which is £17.73 per month.

This covers up to £2000 per bunny per year in vets bills (sickness, injury etc etc) and the excess is £55 per condition (so if you have to see them again and its to do with the same condition - you don't pay the excess again)!

Over the phone, the quote is more expensive .... everything is the same but the policy costs £236.40 per year which is £19.70 per month .......... HOWEVER, if you know anyone who already has petplan cover, then if you give their details (Name and Policy number) and quote offer code : MGM BED you get 2 months free cover and they get a free pet bed!

So with the 2 months free it works out at £197 per year (but still £19.70 per month but over 10 months instead of 12)!

EXOTIC DIRECT:
They have 2 options (but no offers)

Option 1) 2 bunnies have £2000 worth of vet care between them per year (not necessarily £1000 each, its just there for whichever one needs it) with £50 excess (no mention of same condition problems).

This works out at £174.30 per year which is £14.52 per month.

Option 2) 2 bunnies get £4000 worth of vet care between them (for whoever needs it) £50 excess, everything else is the same.

This works out at £205.80 per year which is £17.15 per month.

You can't opt for option 2 online, you have to ring them for it.

Hope this helps!

:D

PETPLAN:
I got a quote for 2 bunnies online (10% discount) and it worked out at £212.76 per year, which is £17.73 per month.

I think you'll find the ages of the bunns are taken into consideration. I did a quote online with petplan for Mischa (4 this year) and Mini (3 this year) and it came to £22.97 a month.

just to clarify(sorry if you all already know this).. if the same condition runs between two policy years you will have to pay the Excess again when the new policy year starts.

just to clarify(sorry if you all already know this).. if the same condition runs between two policy years you will have to pay the Excess again when the new policy year starts.

Thanks for that, I didn't know but tbh I wasn't expecting them to say that you didnt have to pay for the same condition anyway .... so that was a bonus! lol :D

I can absolutely recommend Petplan, i'd had Joe a year before getting round to doing it, and had also weighed up the idea of saving up a vets fund but the vets exact words were a poorly bunny is an expensive bunny and told me that it can cost £300+ for intensive overnight care alone and thats before tests & x-rays etc so I took out a policy with Petplan and just as the 2 week introductory period expired Joe was ill and it cost about £1800 altogether! My vets do the claim direct thing, so i only had to pay £55, sign the claims form and that was it. I don't even want to think about what may have happened if he had still have been uninsured.

I added Jess on last month, i thought i might have been barred on account of putting a claim in for Joe while he was still on his free month :oops: :lol:(I literally had not paid a penny when that massive claim went in) but they were more than happy to insure her and we got the multipet discount so its about £18 a month for the pair of them.

Thanks for that, I didn't know but tbh I wasn't expecting them to say that you didnt have to pay for the same condition anyway .... so that was a bonus! lol :D

i would never get an inusrance that isnt for life. things like arthritus (sp) and skin conditions could be well expensive and alot of policies out there only cover upto 1 year or the max amount what ever finishes first. but with the for life after the 2000 has ran out it can be restarted again the next year on the same condition as long as the policy does not have a break :D

for the whole of pearl's 9 month illness all i had to pay was 2x excess and ofcourse the monthly premuim, plus with it being ongoing the vets agreed to set up direct payment with petplan....phewwwwwww lol

im so anti big companies but i actually think i love petplan :oops::oops:

Back