• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cloud's at the vet! U/D - really worried :(

georgie_f

Mama Doe
I dropped little Cloud of at the vet to be neutered this morning. Not something that would usually phase me but she's seven and she's at a vet I've never used before (She's an RSPCA bunny and they insisted she had to go there if I was to have a neutering voucher).

I decided in the end to get her done as she's been nesting continuously since I brought her home and has nothing but bald armpits to show for her efforts. :roll:

I have to go to work this afternoon too so Mum's picking her up for me. I won't know if she's ok or not until 8pm :shock:

Vibes much appreciated! :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :wave:

I haven't heard anything from the vet yet - I'm hoping they'll ring before 2pm so I won't have to go to work worrying. :oops: I told mum to text me when she knows she's ok but not to text me if it wasn't as I didn't want to be crying on my checkout - then it dawned on me I'll be even more worried if she doesn't text so I told her not to do anything! :roll::lol:

Cloud's fine! She looks a bit grumpy and is sat in her litter tray giving me evils but she's munched a load of kale and broccoli and had a good growl at me as per usual!

I'm not at all impressed with the vet though. When I dropped her off, it was in kind of a lean-too building thing and everything was dirty and they had old school chairs and grotty furniture etc. I had to just hand Cloud over a desk to a vetinary nurse and I couldn't speak to a vet to explain that she was old and my own vet had suggested doing a blood test before knocking her out. I told the nurse this and she just kind of shrugged it off. :? Mum picked her up at 4.30 and again, didn't get to speak to a vet. She asked the nurse on duty if there'd been any signs of cancer or anything and the nurse said she didn't know and there were no notes written up on the computer. :shock: Cloud also has no pain relief or anything and I have to take her back on saturday between 9-10am and just sit and wait until someone's free to talk to me and check Cloud's stitches.

Is that normal? Maybe I'm just used to my stupidly expensive, sell you everything under the sun vet. :? I guess they might be a little more thorough with paying customers - I had a RSPCA voucher so it was free.

I'm glad she's ok, I wouldn't be sure if that's how they should be, but so far the service I've had at my vets was really good for just a simple check up, then again mines a dear vet :lol:

I am amazed they did not give her any pain relief for you to give. I suspect the pain will kick in in about 12 hours time or so - so be PREPARED to take her to a GOOD vet then for some pain killer.

The vet I usually use is very good with checkups and neutering etc, they just don't seem to know a lot about rabbit illnesses (everything seems to look like myxi to them! :roll:) but I haven't a clue what this other vet today was like as I didn't even get to talk to him/her. But I didn't like what I saw much. Actually, whislt we were waiting to hand Cloud over, there was a lady with a little dog there too and a vet came out and gave it an injection right in the middle of the waiting area. :shock:

I have a bottle of meloxodyl in my cupboard so I might give a vet (dunno which one!) a ring and see if I should give her some. I wonder if she just wasn't given any to bring home as it was for free. Cutting costs and all that. Mum didn't ask for any - stupidly I'd forgotten to tell her too. :oops: Does make me wonder if all the buns neutered by the RSPCA get no pain relief. :(

Glad that Cloud is home and doing ok :)

I would hope and imagine that she had a pain relieving injection at the time of the surgery which will cover her for 24 hours, that's what normally happens. It might be worth ringing to check, because at least then you know when it's safe to give her more (with the permission of them or your normal vet) without overdosing her.

I did wonder if they may have given her an injection. I have the invoice thingy but it just says "Rabbit Spey..... £0.00" :| Super helpful!

I have a friend that works at the Cats Protection and he just got in touch on facebook to say none of the cats there get pain relief after neutering because they can 'handle the pain' :shock:

Anyway, Cloud's had a bit more kale but not much else. I think she's still kind of sleepy. Fingers crossed she'll be more alert in the morning. :)

I've just gone to give Cloud a veggie top up and a cuddle and I've just realised, she's just not right!

I can feel all round her rib cage and I can kind of get my fingers under her ribs. :shock: I don't know how to describe it but she feels really hollow. I realise she's just had a sizable bit of her insides taken out but she feels like bones with the skin still on. She didn't feel like that this morning.

What's going wrong?! :(:|

Only just seen this, vibes for the gorgeous Cloud.

Has she eaten? A lot of the time the first sign a bunny in pain gives is not eating, did you find out if she'd had any painkillers? Personally, I'd take her to the vet, especially as she's getting on a bit. Preferrably your own and not the numpty who gave no post-spay advice. :?

Big hugs for you and Cloud.

I can feel all round her rib cage and I can kind of get my fingers under her ribs. :shock: I don't know how to describe it but she feels really hollow. I realise she's just had a sizable bit of her insides taken out but she feels like bones with the skin still on. She didn't feel like that this morning.

What's going wrong?! :(:|

has she eaten much?
i noticed Inara felt like this after her spay. she didn't eat properly for several days afterwards either. i think it was a combination of the spay and an empty tum.
maybe making an appointment with your usual vet just to be on the safe side?

It sounds as though she has tensed up her abdominal muscles because she is sore. Hopefully by now things will have eased a bit and I'd contact the Vet today re pain relief.

Has she poo'd, wee'd and eaten ?

I think she's ok this morning, although she didn't wake me up at 4am digging in her litter tray like usual so she's obviously not 100%! :lol:

She feels a bit better today - less, ummm, empty feeling. She looks a bit down but she's eating kale and broccoli still. I think she must have had a few pellets overnight as there are a few rolling around the cage floor this morning. She's poo'd. I don't see any pee though, unless she's lying in it. :roll:

I can hear her chewing something right now.... :)

I've tried ringing both vets this morning but both have been engaged. I'll wait an hour or so and try again - The lines to my usual vet are always engaged first thing in the morning! I'll ring the vet that speyed her and find out if she had an injection at all and why they haven't sent her home with anything and then I'll ring my regular vet and ask if it's ok to give her some meloxodyl (or take her in for an appointment if need be).

Would it be ok to put her out in the run today? I let Brian free range when I'm outside and he always goes to say hello and Cloud really likes him. I wonder if it'll perk her up a little bit and take her mind off her tummy.

Would it be ok to put her out in the run today? I let Brian free range when I'm outside and he always goes to say hello and Cloud really likes him. I wonder if it'll perk her up a little bit and take her mind off her tummy.

I'd leave her in her cage until she's had a post op check.You dont want her lying on the ground on her spay wound,plus you dont want her to overdo things
.I'd let her take it easy indoors for a day or so.
Did they tell you not to put hay in her bedding area? it can irritate her wound,I used paper bedding and a towel.Keep an eye on her wound that it doesnt get red or hot or start to gape.Also watch her that she doesnt poke around at it and overly lick it etc.

She has hay in a hay rack but seems to have pulled a lot of it out onto the cage floor. :oops: Maybe I'll take the rack away as she doesn't seem to be eating it at the moment anyway. She has carefresh in her litter tray and a fleecey blanket covering the rest of the cage. I've been checking the wound, it looks ok, not red or sore looking at all.

Mum was told when she picked Cloud up that I need to take her in for a post-op check tomorrow and then take her back in ten days to have the stitches removed but she might pull them out herself before then. :shock: She can't like, open herself up again can she?!

Urgh, I don't know why I'm so worried, I've taken lots of buns in for speys over the years. I just wish the vet had been more helpful. :(

Back