• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toto has pood YEAH

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Thanks for listening and being supportive ladies all week with me, well i tried what a few ladies suggested only in small doses though as was little scared, i gave him 0.2ml of lactulose, 1ml of weetabix and 1ml of peppermint tea before i went to bed and thought if no poo by morning i will admit him first thing i made an appointment anyway well i set my alarm to get up in night to him and YEAH i found poo some solid dark lumps with shiny coating and then bit of runny in his bed, so i washed his bottom and gave him just 1ml of Recovery and some water and towel dried him before placing him on clean bedding, i woke up this morning to find more runny poo so cleaned him up again and said to my mum who is looking after him while i came work we should just give recovery and water today t give his tum a rest now he got rid of all that poo, i phoned vets she said see how he goes today thats a great sign and let his tummy rest today bring him down tomo for check up but this looks like he is on mend told me ring for emergency appt if need to so thanks ladies for you support will keep you updated if thats ok nice to just get it all down, do i give him the gut stimulant (Med) today or leave it for today give him rest??????

thanks once again

Not sure what to do medically but wanted to post to say i'm happy things seem to be getting better and Toto is on the mend :D

I am affraid I still believe he needs admission.
All the symptoms you have described-bloat-no poo- then diarrhoea are very serious in a 7 week old Rabbit.

Personally I would want him to be receiving subcutaneous fluids, pain relief, heat therapy and probiotics.

Is his stomach still bloated and was there any mucus (jelly like substance) with the diarrhoea ?

Yeah I have to agree, these signs are very serious especially in a rabbit of such a vulnerable age. He could very rapidly go downhill again, you can't be too careful here. I don't want to scare you but I would make an emergency appointment personally.

I am affraid I still believe he needs admission.
All the symptoms you have described-bloat-no poo- then diarrhoea are very serious in a 7 week old Rabbit.

He did have solid poo in there too not sure which was first though solid or runny?

Personally I would want him to be receiving subcutaneous fluids, pain relief, heat therapy and probiotics.

We are keeping up fluids at home he is in indoor pen on the table with blankets and a very warm house, we also put the pro-biotics in the water to syringe

Is his stomach still bloated and was there any mucus (jelly like substance) with the diarrhoea ?

not as bloated seems to of gone down a lot, no mucus

oh i am worried now i cant get out of work my boss is very strict and my mum cant drive him there today no car, eek i am worried now

not as bloated seems to of gone down a lot, no mucus

oh i am worried now i cant get out of work my boss is very strict and my mum cant drive him there today no car, eek i am worried now

In that case I'd advise your Mum to give Toto regular oral fluids. Some plain Diorolyte (the rehydration sachets used for humans with diarrhoea) mixed with cooled boiled water. Try to give him 10mls an hour and 10mls after every episode of diarrhoea. I'd also advise her to provide him with a heatpad.

Leave hay available at all times and if she can locate some blackberry leaves she could offer him a few of those too (well washed with cooled boiled water).

Thanks Jane just spoke to mum she is getting some dioralyte and have got a heat pad (she breeds kittens so is prepared luckily lol) she has just give him his medicine te vet gave me the gut stimulant one cant remember how spell it lol, also will try give more fluids and more recovery will also get sachet of recovery from local vets on way home i may just catch them still there if i manage finish 5 mins earlier i know he not out the woods but hoping we on road to recovery at least even if it is slow we can give him the care he needs just worried the way and order its got be done thanks for advice once again xxxxxx

she has just give him his medicine te vet gave me the gut stimulant

I'm not sure but I'm not sure its such a good idea to keep giving a gut stimulant if the bun has diarrhoea. I'm probably wrong but it just doesn't seem logical in my little head. Hope someone can advise further. If it was me I think I'd be ringing the vet for advice.

I'm not sure but I'm not sure its such a good idea to keep giving a gut stimulant if the bun has diarrhoea. I'm probably wrong but it just doesn't seem logical in my little head. Hope someone can advise further. If it was me I think I'd be ringing the vet for advice.

I agree, surely it will make the situation worse.... how is Toto doing?

Back