• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are lops more prone to weight gain?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

My Lucy is turning into a bit of a porker - she is now being fed alone as she wolfs hers down and then cannot wait to get to see what Lola has (who is sitting daintily munching).

If I didn't know different I would say she has a tapeworm. She has just had breakfast and is now ramming the grass down her face that is growing in the back garden.

There seems to be a lot of overweight lops about - is it something to do with the breed?

Thank you!

I really believe they are. Most of the lops I see who don't have health issues are eating machines and they do seem to be the first to show weight gain. Laziness seems to be an issue too- they rarely move much except in pursuit of food :roll:

I really believe they are. Most of the lops I see who don't have health issues are eating machines and they do seem to be the first to show weight gain. Laziness seems to be an issue too- they rarely move much except in pursuit of food :roll:

Thats my Lucy! :lol::lol::lol:

My Blue is the same......have you thought about a treat ball? That's what I do with my little fatty bum just so he HAS to run around after it.
Marnie gets shut in the utility room to have hers and Blue gets the kitchen....

My Daisy is a mega trough monster she luuuuvs her food AND Dudleys!!! Unfortunately Dudley has never been that fussed by food and he eats so slowly in comparison with Daisy. I can't bare the thought of separating them for feeding but I might have to! It's also difficult because Dudley likes to eat a bit then leave it for half an hour then come back so Id have to separate them for an hour or so each feed :?

:lol::lol::lol:

It must be a lop thing. You should hear Pie when you get food out (especially mint), Im wouldnt be suprised if you could hear her honking scotland! :roll: We have ot be really careful she doesnt put loads of weight on, she's just such a little porker!

My lops aren't porky in the slightest, Max used to be, but that's from when I first adopted him.:(

Lola is underweight, and Max , Brian and Lenny are dead set on target weight. :D

With Lola and Max when it's food time, if one of them won't eat, the other won't eat either. It's so cute, it's like they want it to be a romantic meal and want to eat together :love::love:.

Having troubles with getting mine to put on weight so I wish mine were!! They are terribly sedate so I guess that contributes.

Back