• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Dentistry

David Crossley has some brilliant photos, doesn't he? Does your vet use Saffan for dentals?
The wild versus domestic mandible are scarily different. :(

Last edited:
What a really interesting article:)-thank you Jane.

I didn't realise there was such a high incidence of dental problems in extreme dwarf and lop breeds and never considered that rabbits without incisors would be unable to groom so would need to be groomed by the owner, though no doubt a rabbit savvy vet would tell you that.

sue:wave:

Last edited:
Thanks for this Jane.
Parsley is going in to have a small molar spur burred next week.
I had planned to do some more reading so this is perfectly timed.

David Crossley has some brilliant photos, doesn't he? Does your vet use Saffan for dentals?
The wild versus domestic mandible are scarily different. :(

I wonder if it's a diet issue or a breeding issue, or a bit of both?

I have a couple of wildies raised as domestics (same diet, etc) and I'll be very interested to see whether they ever develop any dental issues.

One of my wildies' siblings actually has maloccluded incisors...I'm guessing either caused by deformity or injury soon after birth?

I wonder if it's a diet issue or a breeding issue, or a bit of both?

I have a couple of wildies raised as domestics (same diet, etc) and I'll be very interested to see whether they ever develop any dental issues.

One of my wildies' siblings actually has maloccluded incisors...I'm guessing either caused by deformity or injury soon after birth?

I think a bit of both. Breeding has certainly altered skull shapes detrimentally,but I also think early bone (calcium) development plays a huge part too, so perhaps your hand reared wild rabbits will be as likely to have dental problems, as any domestic bun?
I saw on another thread, that you still have dear old Winston :) I'd love to see a photo of him if you have any. He has the best face. I looked after him for several months, years ago, and I've never seen a rabbit moult quite like he does :D

I saw on another thread, that you still have dear old Winston :) I'd love to see a photo of him if you have any. He has the best face. I looked after him for several months, years ago, and I've never seen a rabbit moult quite like he does :D

I'm afraid I don't have any very recent ones. This is a pic of him with his wife Pootle, who was unfortunately pts in Feb:

DSCF0785.jpg

Winton is just :love: I've never known such a calm and sociable bun. He's the same as ever...moulting enough to fill a cushion every day atm, and spending most of his time digging in corners :lol:

He's starting to show his age now unfortunately...definitely lost muscle mass, is stiff in his back legs, and is almost blind, but I guess that's to be expected in such an old rabbit.

I didn't realise you looked after Winston...when would that be? I think I've had him over 3 years now.

Oh Amy, he looks wonderful, thankyou!!:D It was because of his digging that he came to me.:D Must have been at least five years ago, and he lived with a very bossy mini lop who he adored. Then unfortunately I got ill, and he went back to London, before coming to you. Winston is without a doubt one of the sweetest rabbits I've ever cared for. Lovely to hear he's still around, still digging, and still blowing his coat :D

By the time you've bumped into him, the jobs half done.:)

That's a very scary thought. I don't think speed is the most important issue, I'd really rather a vet who took better time and care, although I do understand the need for the least amount of GA as possible.

Jane, thanks for posting - I shall look forward to reading that later.

That's a very scary thought. I don't think speed is the most important issue, I'd really rather a vet who took better time and care, although I do understand the need for the least amount of GA as possible.

Jane, thanks for posting - I shall look forward to reading that later.

The way I understood it, the anaesthetic agent is what reduces the time. By saying " I'd really rather a vet who took better time and care", you're implying he rushes and doesn't care. I think his reputation, and success prove otherwise.

The way I understood it, the anaesthetic agent is what reduces the time. By saying " I'd really rather a vet who took better time and care", you're implying he rushes and doesn't care. I think his reputation, and success prove otherwise.

What I meant was I don't think speed is necessarily a good thing. John Chitty has a reputation for being an expert yes, but I am not a fan personally of some of his methods.

What I meant was I don't think speed is necessarily a good thing. John Chitty has a reputation for being an expert yes, but I am not a fan personally of some of his methods.

I agree re some of his methods, but I think his research has helped a lot of rabbits. Is it the lack of intubation you don't like?

I agree re some of his methods, but I think his research has helped a lot of rabbits. Is it the lack of intubation you don't like?

I am sure you are right in that he and his methods have pushed rabbit medicine forward in some ways.

With regard to intubation, I am very lucky as my own bunny vet is developing a new product for intubating rabbits and has used it on many of mine, making any GA procedure a lot easier and I am sure safer.

I just feel that some of his ideas are now a bit outdated - in particular putting rabbits on their backs for examinations.

Anyway, sorry Jane for hijacking your thread. Must go out and clean out some rabbits.

With regard to intubation, I am very lucky as my own bunny vet is developing a new product for intubating rabbits and has used it on many of mine, making any GA procedure a lot easier and I am sure safer.

Oo just a quick question - is this new product similar to the LMA (laryngeal mask airway)? This is routinely used in human GA's were muscle relaxants are not required for the actual surgery thus avoiding the need for intubation.
Have always thought an adapted form would be the go for animals.

Oo just a quick question - is this new product similar to the LMA (laryngeal mask airway)? This is routinely used in human GA's were muscle relaxants are not required for the actual surgery thus avoiding the need for intubation.
Have always thought an adapted form would be the go for animals.

Hey.

Yes it is a laryngeal mask and it has been used with excellent results. Can't really say more than that at the moment, but safe to say that it's well on the way (we all hope) to being used by many vets. And it could also be used in animals right up to horse sized patients.

Hey.

Yes it is a laryngeal mask and it has been used with excellent results. Can't really say more than that at the moment, but safe to say that it's well on the way (we all hope) to being used by many vets. And it could also be used in animals right up to horse sized patients.

Thats brilliant!
LMA (along with continous intravenous anaesthesia) have revolutionised how we care care for humans in the OR.
New innovations are often trialed on animals 1st as we sadly all know, so I was really surprised when I became involved in animal surgeries & found that LMA were not in use.
Its good to know these will be available soon for our furry friends regardless of size.

Back