• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what symptoms do kidney disease buns have?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
worried as bif drinks two bowls of water till bowls dry every day:shock:

merlin only has a little bit...bertie can drink up to 3/4 of a bowl of water....most days just under half...but hes a frenchie and he has a dog bowl!!

bifs a bit bigger than a mini lop..she has a ceramic bunny/cat bowl. shes been drinking a lot lately...and im beginning to worry as the bowls are bone dry....twice today...:(

i dont understand why she drinks so much or how she drinks so much. id like to say it was a comfort thing...but shes never drunk like this..not even in summer. Im going to have a word with our vet tomorrow when i drop merlin off...he and bif are due the cylap horror anyway. but id like her checked out soon.

she hasnt lost sudden amounts of weight but neither did our kideny cat..she had a lovley coat and was a little tubby kitty as the vet put her to sleep.

diabetes i guess...but in a bunny how the heck do you suspect something and try to get a diagnosis:shock::(

There are several reasons why a Rabbit will start to drink excessively- Kidney problems, Dental problems, GI tract problems, Urinary Tract problems, EC. Diabetes is less likely, its rare in Rabbits and it cannot be diagnosed with just a one off blood test or a Urine Test.

Really the best thing would be to consult with your Vet :)

As Jane said, there are loads of reasons why she could be drinking the water.

My Inca recently was drinking loads of water, she had lost a good bit of weight tho'

I suspected it was her Kidney's as she still had a great appetite.

I took her to the Vets for blood tests and it turned out to be EC, however her bloods also showed up that she is probably diabetic too!
We treated for EC and she seems to be better now, not drinking as much water.

As usual, a trip to the vets should help :)

Good luck xx

im starting to worry about Holly's drinking. i phoned the vets this morning and they suggested because shes eating loads and bright to just re-add veg to her diet and if she is still drinking lots to get her checked out by them. at the mo its looking like the dry diet is creating her thirst :?.

ill be weighing her tonight so i can start recording her weight.

i have to also weigh up if its my paranoia and what are the chances that ive really gone and found myself ANOTHER terminal bun, she seems too healthy to have an illness tho :? :? :?

hope Bif is ok, let us know what your vet says please xxxx

i have to also weigh up if its my paranoia and what are the chances that ive really gone and found myself ANOTHER terminal bun, she seems too healthy to have an illness tho :? :? :?

As much as i don't wish paranoia on you, i do hope thats what it is.

My buns drink alot more water when i dont give them veg, hope thats all it is!

while a check up with vet is fine, rabbits i find go through differant phases of drinking water, doc and beth easily drinking half a giant bottle a day perhaps more, while bigs and carrie drink a quarter that, but pending on weather food etc it can suddenly go up or down if they are eating pooing weeing and have no mites but just drinking more i just monitor at home first

I mean in the wild they hardly drink at all they get it all from the food around them

As much as i don't wish paranoia on you, i do hope thats what it is.

My buns drink alot more water when i dont give them veg, hope thats all it is!

me too... if she is a terminal bunny its deffo me. she was fine at the rescue :shock::shock:

already on panacur so if she does need to be checked out thats one less thing to rule out for the vet.

My kidney failure bun had the following symptoms:

Drinking excessively
Losing weight despite a good appetite
Loss of muscle
Wobbly on hind legs

As Jane has said they can drink allot for many reasons, however they can consume up to 100ml per kg per day per bun, so unless it's way over this i wouldn't worry too much but perhaps take him to the vets for a check over.

Not my lovely Bif! :( Fingers crossed it's not :wave: :love:

My kidney failure bun had the following symptoms:

Drinking excessively
Losing weight despite a good appetite
Loss of muscle
Wobbly on hind legs

Our Chi died of Liver & Kidney failure :cry: He wasn't drinking excessively though, that's the only odd thing about it, he actually ate more, spent more time sleeping and gradually got more and more lethargic :cry:

i was worried about bisc when he lost lots of weight and began drinking excessively. he was getting through 7 bowls a day at one point. loads of tests and nothing found. turns out it was his uri flare up causing secondary symptoms, and also spurs at one point aswell.

mildly irrelevant, but I have noticed my buns and g.pigs drink a lot more water when the central heating is left on for too long.

Lots of vibes to Bif and Holly:love:

Can I ask how is kidney disease diagnosed? Just with a urine test? Or is a blood test needed as well?

Thank you both. The symptoms are sounding more and more like Mischa may have kidney disease but as he's had urine tests I wasn't sure if it was definite that he doesn't as they'd come back clear. He's probably going to have blood tests when he has his dental on Monday.

:cry:

Thank you both. The symptoms are sounding more and more like Mischa may have kidney disease but as he's had urine tests I wasn't sure if it was definite that he doesn't as they'd come back clear. He's probably going to have blood tests when he has his dental on Monday.

:cry:

Dental problems can cause excessive drinking (and consequently excessive urination) aswell as weightloss. So try not to jump the gun re thinking he has kidney problems :)

Oh I so hope it is. Would that still be the case if he's still eating really really well? Mischa goes ape for food, always has done, it's what got him through his head tilt and EC.

Oh I so hope it is. Would that still be the case if he's still eating really really well? Mischa goes ape for food, always has done, it's what got him through his head tilt and EC.

I assumed he was a Dental Bun as you said he's going in for a Dental :?

If he has had EC then kidney problems are a *possibility* but not a certainty.

Back