• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you litter train unneutered males?

DeeAisha

Young Bun
Yes, still obsessed with mess, though it's getting better.

The boys are unneutered and our vet doesn't recommend neutering them at their age and weight - they are 7 and quite porky. Even if I put them on a diet (am starting to see why that's so hard - they are SUCH pigs!) the vet would be reluctant as they are well bonded and don't fight.

They do, however, poo and pee everywhere. They have a litter tray in their bedroom that they use for upstairs wees, but poo everywhere else, and poo and wee freely in their run. I've bought them a downstairs litter tray today - how do I get them to poo in either of them? I've tried sprinkling some poos in - Mungo moves them out again... :roll: Is it just something I need to accept as they're still intact?

In other news, they're starting to eat more hay and will eat pellets out of my hand. Such lovely soft little mouths!

D x

As my bunnies have got older they seem less botherd where they wee and poo.
I think it maybe because they cant be botherd to go to their toilet place. They are neutred and were good at using litter trays in the past.
If they have no new bunny scents they are trying to mark over then i wonder if its just an older bunny thing that they just "go" where they please.

Our young unneutered males litter trained quite quickly, then pooped everywhere once the hormones kicked in. They are fine again now.

I think older animals in general seem to forget their litter training. Probably all you can do is put the litter tray where they usually go and put any stray poos in there.

I don't mind the stray poos, it's the wee I don't like dealing with.

My unneutered male (not sure what age, I got him as an adult bun though) will poo everywhere in his run but won't poo in his house. Before he got the run he used a litter tray. He was about 80% litter trained, some accidents, but pretty good, so I saw they can be litter trained. But since they are older, maybe they are set in their ways. Don't give up though :)

Sorry, I have difficulty getting my NEUTERED males to use their littertrays, so I'm not much help. I just wanted to say, re their weight, have you tried scatter feeding? This encourages them to move around and 'forage' which is great enrichment, as well as getting them that bit more active. I'd also cut right down on carrot (maybe stick to one once or twice a week between them?) as it's soooo high in sugar, and restrict their pellets to an eggcup full twice a day. I don't see why you shouldn't get them neutered at their age, if they lose a little weight. One of my rabbits has an aneasthetic every month for his dentals, and he's doing ok (age 7).

Good luck! :D

Back