• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Toto

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
He been off sides all afternoon after his half hour or so looking perky, gave in another dose of Metoclopramide and 0.2ml of lactulose see if that helps shift things he is taking only 1-2mls of recovery i am trying in every 4 hours should i do it more often i feel like i am constantly meddling with him poor lad, do i try peppermint tea or pineapply juice i just want him to POO please toto come on any more suggestions for me i am going out my mind thanks again xxxx:love:

Is he in statis?
Have you tried a gentle tummy massage?
Is he eating anything on his own?
I always find Fibreplex is good, also try Infacol (Used for babies) try encouraging food- herbs are good (Mint, Basil, Parsley, Dandelion leaves)
Also trying to encourage movement will help.

He been off sides all afternoon after his half hour or so looking perky, gave in another dose of Metoclopramide and 0.2ml of lactulose see if that helps shift things he is taking only 1-2mls of recovery i am trying in every 4 hours should i do it more often i feel like i am constantly meddling with him poor lad, do i try peppermint tea or pineapply juice i just want him to POO please toto come on any more suggestions for me i am going out my mind thanks again xxxx:love:

Is his stomach still bloated?

He really needs admission to the Vets

Has he had more pain relief ?

i dont know what statis means? yeah tummy bloated but vet said today on inspection it wasnt any bigger than yesterday she weighed him he hasnt lost any he is same, he not taking food on own only that hay today they didn give him dandelion leaves i might go get some infacol and peppermint tea i do turn him over and give his tum a rub he seems to like that bless i just want him to poo have appointment tomo morning booked already to take him they suggested x-ray but if that shows blockage what can they do i am sure she said he is too young for surgery xxx

How long has it been since he ate or pooped?
Statis is when the gut slows down so much so that all the hair and food in the tummy becomes dehydrated and therefor makes the bunny feel full, not wanting to eat- If left untreated it can be fatal.
I believe the only way to treat a bloackage is surgery?! :?

i dont know what statis means? yeah tummy bloated but vet said today on inspection it wasnt any bigger than yesterday she weighed him he hasnt lost any he is same, he not taking food on own only that hay today they didn give him dandelion leaves i might go get some infacol and peppermint tea i do turn him over and give his tum a rub he seems to like that bless i just want him to poo have appointment tomo morning booked already to take him they suggested x-ray but if that shows blockage what can they do i am sure she said he is too young for surgery xxx

A blockage is highly unlikely.
IMO he has acute bloat due to gut dysbiosis.

He has been weaned too young which will put him at even higher risk of gut problems.

If you really cant get him to the Vet tonight then I'd only administer cooled boiled water by mouth now. If his stomach is bloated putting more food into it will make things worse. It'll just ferment, cause more gas and increase the bloat.

If you can get Gripe Water that'd be preferable to Infacol. The Woodwards brand is best and you can buy it in the baby department of Supermarkets.
I'd give 1ml every 1-2 hours along with 10-20ml cooled boiled water.

Please do not massage his abdomen if his stomach is bloated. Doing so could have serious consequences.

In between giving the fluids keep him warm on a heatpad and just have hay available for him.

He should also be having regular pain relief which is another reason I believe he needs to be admitted.

oh dear i read all this after i just tried the peppermint tea he had 1lm of weetabox and really enjoyed it even licked the syringe i gave him 1ml of recovery too and 1lm or so of peppermint tea cooled oh i hope i havent made it worse i will get to vets first thing i just hope he does poop in night he not done poo since tue vet said he did small bits stuck to his bum and to keep watch out to keep it clean, i will tell vet what you said about acute bloat and i just dont know what they can do other than x-ray and administer more painkillers i thought the med they gave me bring home was painkiller but its not i am told its a gut stimulant but it isnt working he had it via injection today and by me this eve and nothing i thought he perked up today but been down all eve i have kept in indoors with blankets and left water down and hay oh i just wish my vets knew what they were doing and would just say where we go from here surely he too young for surgery and i think an x-ray is pointless if he just needs painkillers and care continuous i can give him the care and fluids but not painkillers! oh what a mess xx

I know it must be hard for you :( I really feel for you. If Jane says go to the vet though I would go to the vet she is very wise about these things!!! Whereabouts do you live? I would post asking for rabbit savvy vets in your area asap xx

Back