• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny suffering from diarrhea

qjhaji

New Kit
Hi,

One of my doe was very quite since morning, she was not moving actively and was also not eating properly however as it is summer here and the temperature is High, I though of giving my bunny a liquid glucose - Glucon D however after feeding her the liquid I suddenly found that she was weeing and it was all liquid. Also I found the same thing nearby her cage and it seems that my bunny is suffering from diarrhea and it is 12:30 am over here so no vets available at this point of time,,,, Any Help available???

I have also read that if bunnies suffering with diarrhea are not treated within 24 hours, it can be fatal for them.... I am really very worried... please give me some solution... :cry:

P.S: The color of the wee is brownish red. Also, I have been feeding my bunnies with tomatoes, so also please help that is it EC or red wee... :cry:

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not sure what Glucon D is- we don't have it over here.

What age is your bunny? When did you last see her eating and drinking? Is she doing any normal dry poos at the minute? When you say she is weeing liquid- what colour is it?

Is there any way that you can take her to an emergency vets?

I'm not sure what Glucon D is- we don't have it over here.

Glucon-D is a glucose based beverage and is available in powder form. With 99.4 % of pure glucose it is easily absorbed by the body and is available for energy instantly. I fed her with Glucon-D as I found her very uncomfortable since morning.

What age is your bunny?

The bunny which is suffering from diarrhea is 4 weeks.

When did you last see her eating and drinking? Is she doing any normal dry poos at the minute?

My doe was eating and drinking properly till last night, it was today morning when I discovered she is not eating and drinking properly however when I fed her with my hands, she ate it.

When you say she is weeing liquid- what colour is it?

It is brownish red.

Is there any way that you can take her to an emergency vets?

No emergency vets available over here. :(

Is it that my bunny is suffering from diarrhea because of high temperature over here in India?

Has she been doing any poos at all? Is she eating hay or grass. Rabbit wee can vary in colour depending on what they have been eating. When you say diahorrea, is she passing mushy poo, or is it just red coloured urine?

4 weeks is very young for a rabbit to be without her mother, as far as I know they are prone to coccidosis because of this.

I would try to make sure you can get her to drink and eat tonight until you can see a vet tomorrow. If she is not drinking on her own you could syringe her some cooled boiled water. Can you tempt her to eat with hay/grass etc. It is important that rabbits eat regularly to keep their guts healthy and a bunny that is not eating should be taken to the vets asap.

Can I just ask what her normal diet is?

Can buns eat tomato? maybe this could be causing the poo problem too if she is only 4wk old...will she not eat mushed pellets (soaked in water and mushed) along with hay? sorry I've not had a bun that young but just going off my instincts, I also would be reserved at giving glucose unless/until you have sought advice from a vet?
Is Glucon D for rabbits/pets or humans?
Rabbits of this age have very sensitive digestive systems that could easily be upset.

Hopefully someone else with more experience will come along and advise

Also as it is your summer, heat stroke can be fatal to a bun, as they struggle in hot weather...here's a little advice that maybe of use.... you could put cooled/iced water in a bottle (pop bottles) etc in her hutch for her to lie next to, it will help cool her down, ensure there is shade she can go in if hot, a tile floor or kitchen tile could be put in her hutch so she has something cool to lie on.
Are you aware of fly strike? please research this asap.....you mush check the buns bottom for fly strike, eggs, which will develop into maggotts and basically will eat at the flesh, you can buy products online to help prevent it, also a fly screen/net can be put over the hutch so no flies can enter the hutch.
Ensure her home is clean everyday and provide plenty of fresh water constantly.

:cry::cry::cry:

I am just back from my bunnies home, and unfortunately she is no more with me... Did the best thing possible to keep her alive but finally my bunny lost her hopes and confidence and was not able to co-op with me, Also I feeded her and gave her water to drink regularly within a span of 3-45 minutes but even that didn't worked out.

Now the worst thing which is fearing me is, I had kept 2 bunnies together, so will it effect the other bunny??? As my bunny breathed her last breathe when I came inside my room for a few minutes to prepare boiled water for her... And it was shocking to see my bunny was no more with me... and when I came back to the cage what I saw was that the other bunny was trying to wake her with her legs standing near her head...

What should I do next? This was the first time in my life I brought a pet and lost it within 15 days :cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry::cry::cry:

I am just back from my bunnies home, and unfortunately she is no more with me... Did the best thing possible to keep her alive but finally my bunny lost her hopes and confidence and was not able to co-op with me, Also I feeded her and gave her water to drink regularly within a span of 3-45 minutes but even that didn't worked out.

Now the worst thing which is fearing me is, I had kept 2 bunnies together, so will it effect the other bunny??? As my bunny breathed her last breathe when I came inside my room for a few minutes to prepare boiled water for her... And it was shocking to see my bunny was no more with me... and when I came back to the cage what I saw was that the other bunny was trying to wake her with her legs standing near her head...

What should I do next? This was the first time in my life I brought a pet and lost it within 15 days :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am very sorry :cry:

The fact that the other Bunny has had time to spend with the deceased Bunny will help the other Bunny come to terms with the loss.

I hope your remaining Bunny will be OK. Is he/she eating, drinking and pooing ?

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, huge hugs being sent i dont have any advice really as i am a new bunny owner and its all new to me but found this webiste may of saved my bunnies life he still hanging in there after being pooly for 5 days they are so tiny and delicate creatures its a cruel world when you feel so helpless.

xx

I am very sorry :cry:

The fact that the other Bunny has had time to spend with the deceased Bunny will help the other Bunny come to terms with the loss.

I hope your remaining Bunny will be OK. Is he/she eating, drinking and pooing ?

Thank you for your condolence

Yes the other bunny was quite in morning for sometime however she is alright now, I came back early from my office today and tried to spend more time with her. Also, had took the other bunny to a hospital to make sure that she is completely alright and just came back home from hospital. The VET said that she is alright and nothing to worry about.

Yes, she is eating, drinking and pooing normally. I haven't noticed anything abnormal with her, just praying to god that she stay healthy and fine for years and years. And my bunny which is no more with me, may her soul rest in peace. Amen.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, huge hugs being sent i dont have any advice really as i am a new bunny owner and its all new to me but found this webiste may of saved my bunnies life he still hanging in there after being pooly for 5 days they are so tiny and delicate creatures its a cruel world when you feel so helpless.

xx

I can understand your concern, however even I am a new bunny owner and due to lack of sufficient knowledge I lost my dear bunny :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am so sorry, came back looking for good news :(

Are your other buns eating and pooing ok?

Yes she is eating, drinking, pooing normally. Everything is fine with her however I was quite afraid that she might be shocked to see the other bunny lying dead ....

Back