• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

timber/wood

yamazumi

Warren Scout
I want to build Stella a run, thinking about 8ftx6ft and I obviously need some wood. Bnq seems quite reasonable, but according to the website the stores closest to me don't have it in stock, nor do they deliver, and I can't see me fitting several 8ft long pieces of wood in the car.

Does anyone know of the best place to get it? I'm close to Nottingham and Derby.

Also, is it best ready treated or kiln dried? and is 19mmx38mm thick enough? The wood won't be exposed to Stella as I'll put the mesh on the inside but was just wondering whether it would be sturdy enough.

I think Wickes deliver. :) I have that problem with wood collection, as I don't drive! :roll:

Hi, I got my wood for our run from homebase (nottingham, the one past riverside retail park, near expedia)
It was 5cm by 2.5cm. We got one treated for outdoor use and just make sure they don't eat it (Although, Ben has had a nibble on it but he's fine)
We got a pack of 6 1.8m long I think for about £12.50
Hope this helps :)

Just asked my other half (carpenter and builder). He says builders merchants would probably be cheaper, so check places like Travis Perkins, Alsford Timber, Builder Center, Jewson, etc. I'm down South, so not sure which ones you have. :oops:

We have a builders merchants on the other side of town, think I'll have a look there.

Looked at Wickes, I could get all the wood I needed for £10.... but they want to charge me £30 for delivery which seems kind of steep.

The size wood I want wouldn't fit in the car.

I'm just getting it from the builders merchant across town, it came out a bit more expensive that the £10 at wickes but it is thicker wood.

Back