• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch/Run size - Big Enough??

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
:wave:

We're on with the design for the buns new hutch and so far its working out to have 2 levels, the top level will be 5ft wide by 3ft deep by 2ft tall, the lower level will be 5ft wide by 3ft deep by 2ft 6 inches tall with a run attached that's adding an extra 7ft by 5ft (2ft 6 inches tall).

Giving an overall measurement of 65 square feet for both hutch and run.

The buns will have access to the run to come and go as they please all day and the doors to the hutch will only be closed at night.

Does this sound like a big enough space for two bunnies?

Thanks, I was a bit worried about the hutch being 5ft by 3ft rather than 6ft by 2ft ....... does it make a difference do you think?

Like I say, they'd have permanent access to the run during the day which (including the downstairs part of the hutch) is 10ft by 5ft.

Oh and I wasn't sure if, with the minimum space required being 36 sq ft, you'd need to double the space for two buns?!?

:D

Thanks, I was a bit worried about the hutch being 5ft by 3ft rather than 6ft by 2ft ....... does it make a difference do you think?

Not really. Its the square footage that counts. 6 x 2 is 12sq ft, 5 x 3 is 15sq ft so you are actually giving your bunnies more room.

It sounds perfect to me. :D

Brilliant, thanks, do the heights of hutch and run seem ok?

I wasn't sure how high to build the run really, as its attached to the hutch's downstairs I just thought it would be easier to make it the same height as the downstairs...... but if 2ft 6 isn't tall enough I'm sure we could make it higher.

Would it be high enough for them to binky??

Sounds ace bunny-wise. In terms of bunkying it depends on the buns - some will binky in a small space, some like to tear around and get up some speed. my only reservation would be how to clean out a hutch that is 3ft deep, especially the top level? can you climb in? otherwise i dont know how you'll reach the back? (do you have arms like an orangutan? :oops::shock:)

Hahahahaa :lol: I do actually have very long arms! lol :lol:

OH and I tried it out last night on the old hutch (which is similar design but 2ft deep) he made me stand an extra foot and a bit away and put some wood up to my waist to check if I could reach the back ..... and I could! lol

I'll double check again tonight now though! lol

We're also bunny-proofing the whole of the back garden so when I'm out pottering, they can have full run of that too.

Do you think that 2ft 6 is high enough for the run then?

yeah should be fine, although if you make it higher you can add levels and furniture to sit on. but then it needs a gate to get in, unless you also have very long legs to step over! (i have a very weird mental image of you right now!!! :oops: :lol::lol::lol:)

Hahahahahaa:lol: Ooooh that made me laugh :lol:

Oh yes, good idea! I was thinking it had to be the same height as the ceiling of the bottom hutch but it doesn't - I'd have to get in the run to open the top hutches anyway as even I couldn't reach round that far........ so we can make the run any height we want! D'OH!!!

And yeah, I already told OH that at 2ft 6 I'd need a gate as there's no way I'm attempting to climb over that every time! (even with my long legs)! hahahahaha x

That would be great giving them different levels to explore outside as well ....... and little tables or chairs to sit on ..... oh and boxes ..... and there'd be more binkying room!

Oh I'm getting all giddy again now! lol

:lol::lol::lol::lol: making bunny housing is weirdly exciting - mine is fine as it is, but i am always thinking of new ways to improve it, none of which i can aofford! :oops:

are you adding the run to the front of the hutch? you could add a catflap to the side or back, which makes cleaning out the hutch from the front a lot easier, without mad bunnies running around your feet, and you can shut them out in the run so they cant escape too.

Are you making it from scratch? i'm making one from a 6/7ft x 2.5ft bike shed in a few weeks, for my parents house - it will be the buns holiday home! :lol::lol:

Oh now that's a good idea, thanks!

Yeah we're making it from scratch so can pretty much change the spec as we go (well, until work commences) ...... we're doing all the planning/designing this week before buying the materials at weekend (hopefully) so all/any input is great!

Any suggestions to make life easier are more than welcome ..... am thinking of maybe making it 2½ft deep now, just to make sure I don't do myself a mischief trying to clean them out! lol

Liking the sound of your bike shed ..... lucky buns, having a holiday home!

Back