• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ppl with experience of head tilt buns

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Have any of you had a bun with head tilt (from an inner ear infection or other) recover and live a normal life? I need some serious reassurance at the moment so all stories welcome! Xxxx

Tilly led a completely normal life. She needed the right treatment, that was all. She was also not treated instantly, and I have no idea how long she had head tilt before she came to me (the RSPCA seized her as a neglect case and then I took her on). She was left with a residual tilt, but it didn't affect her.

Tilly :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBTwHDwZC5s

I don't know how ill your bunny is, so this may be way off right now, but I found that neck massages really helped her, and also something warm to rest her neck on. We also did a lot of intensive physiotherapy once the infection was being fought, and that too made a lot of difference.

Mischa did, well not did, IS!

He had EC and a horrendous tilt.

IMGP4394-vi.jpg

And that was after he'd started improving.

Now you'd never know.

I also did neck massages on him. Gently. One of his favourite things back then was to sit on my chest and rest his head on my you-know-what. Cheeky begger.

Thanks for the advise re. neck massages. I just tried it on Mimi after giving her her meds which always makes her go into a roll afterwards :( and it totally clalmed her. She was sitting still allowing me to do it and teth purring which is very unlike Mimi. I think this might be key in keeping her comfortable whilst shes recovering so am going to do some more research on it to make sure im doing it properly.
Thanks guys, thats something positive in an otherwise very bleak morning after a very rough night :(

I'm sure with you looking after her, Mimi will soon be over the worst of it, and start to improve. Apart from the neck massage, don't forget to keep the "up" eye lubricated. Is there anything she needs, that you can't get in France? I'd be happy to send it to you, if there is.

Thanks so much Mudgy, I think we're ok. I need some critical care but can order that on the internet, might order some vet bed too while im there. I hope they'll deliver to France :?
Im keeping her upper eye lubricated and clean and now have her on a quilt in the cage so that she wont hurt herself during the rolling "fits" which have unfortunatly become more frequent :( I know I cant expect miracles after the first proper day of treatment but I was really hoping shes be abit better this morning :cry:

It's a slow process Gemma, so don't get down about it. It's still VERY early days. Some of the head tilt rabbits I've had, have taken months to recover. I always roll duvets into a sausage shape, and sit it on a rubber mat so they have something to grip at the end of a dancing session. Mimi will get there, but it really is baby steps.

Yip, i agree with above, its a slow process.
Sometimes you might look at your baby and wonder if you are doing the right thing, but if your bunster is eating, drinking etc, then she is trying to fight this and you should help her as much as you can.

I have just had a look and found this for critical care http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=CRITICALH1454G&variation=
They also sell vet bed :)

Honestly, there were some days that my Kermit was rolling all the time, it's worrying, but it should get better over time.

Yip, i agree with above, its a slow process.
Sometimes you might look at your baby and wonder if you are doing the right thing, but if your bunster is eating, drinking etc, then she is trying to fight this and you should help her as much as you can.

I whole-heartedly agree with this...

no personal experience but my sponsor bunny has head tilt and i believe its an ear infection rather than EC.

ive known him for about 2 years and although his head is still lop sided the last time i saw him he was amazingly well, when i first set eyes on him he was really quite bad, rolling all the time and on daily injections :(

slow but steady recovery, sending you loads of virtual hugs... bunnys that need extra are really hard work. but worth every second of the worry :love::love:

Back