• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits fought, one has sore eye :( help

Peppapunk

Young Bun
My rabbits fought yesterday, quite badly. After seperating them (as the fighting did not cease) I noticed today that one has a sore eye/lid.. its red around the skin and has a little discharge, and she half closes it.
Is there any way I can treat this at home? Salt water? drops? creams?

I don't think you're going to be able to treat it at home - if it has ulcered (can easily happen if a claw gets caught in the eye for example) it will need some antibiotic cream from the vets. Eye injuries can be very painful, which is probably why she's sitting with her eye half closed. I would suggest you get her booked into the vets to be looked at and you'll probably need some proper cream to use. If you try and treat it at home without being sure about exactly what the injury is and whether there is an ulcer, you'll more than likely just create long-term damage I'm afraid.

Hope your little one is ok xx

Yep, def vet I'm afraid - eye things can be more serious than they seem.

Are the buns both neutered?

Sorry for the double post,
I just rang and they said the best I can do is bathe it in warm water but as it doesn't seem to be infected, I ring and book an appt tomorrow xx

How do they know that it's not infected if they haven't even seen your bunny? Eye injuries have to be treated urgently! Tomorrow may be too late.:( Please make sure that your bunny is seen by a vet as soon as possible. Sending lots of vibes xxx

I did not realise eye injuries could be so urgent.
I will have to beg my mum when she gets in but when I rang the vets they said make an appt tomorrow, not tonight.. xx

if your vets cant recognise an emergency it might be worth changing vets they should know and treat it as an emergency not leave you to have to make the decision. but you should definitely get there tonight by the sounds of it! sending vibes for your bun xx

She is eating yes :)
Good news, it looks like its just her lid that is scratched, I have been bathing it in salt water and cold tea, and the redness has gone down. :) xx

On Tuesday if found Ollie with a closed eye and being a bit 'off'. I carted him off to the vets and they discovered the top of his eyeball had a little red patch. They gave him so drops and he's back to his naughty old self now. I think Amber may have belted him one in a domestic.

Hope your bun is ok x

Back