• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on the rescue gerbils! (Traaacey baby pics)

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Well the gerbils we took on in the mass rescue are doing fantastically. They are in great condition now and all putting on weight.
The newest set of babies are thriving - unfortunately there were 8 originally but only 4 survived. Am so glad this poor mummy gerbil can now retire from constant litter after litter. She has done a stunning job. :love:

Mummy Gerbil Rose
DSC00737Small.jpg

Eldest daughter - Poppy
DSC00735Small.jpg

Other Eldest daughter - Daisy
DSC00542Small.jpg

6 week old litter pups
DSC00485Small.jpg

DSC00530Small.jpg

DSC00335Small.jpg

2 week old litter pups
DSC00730Small.jpg

DSC00724Small.jpg

DSC00725Small.jpg

DSC00731Small.jpg

There are also two 9 week old pups in with the dad but no chance to take pics yet!

They arent ready for rehoming just yet but will be soon :)

They are :love::love::love:

Any tips on handling. I have two girls, they are my first gerbils, and they are super friendly but I am absolutely terrified of picking them up. They are so fast and jump. I'm used to boisterous bunnies not dainty little gerbils.

I don't mind not picking them up as I get so much enjoyment from just watching them, but I don't know what I'd do if either of them ever needed vet treatment.

The best way is to just let them hop into a jar or something similar and pick them up that way. Then let them walk onto your hands putting one hand in front of the other and let them walk from hand to hand. If they are jumpy do it low to the floor or chair or something incase they do the leap of death! :lol:
If you do it daily they will get used to it. A lot of people try and grab them like hamster which unless they are really tame will frighten them and cause them to panic a bit. Hope this helps!

Thank you thats great. I've no idea why I'm so scared of them, I'm not scared for me, I'm just frightened I'll hurt them they are so tiny. :oops:

awwwwwwwwwwwww :love: :love: :love: :love:
the tiny babies are so very beautiful but im totaly in love with the one on gordons arm :love:

Wow very cute. We don't have gerbils here :( so thanks for sharing.
I can really see why the babies are called pups.

Awww, they are lovely.
I'll be sending you off some more loo rolls for them to play in soon :)

Back