• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 sisters with a buck

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
I currently have 2 does who are sisters and are both spayed. They are small rabbits (nethie x rex).
I'm planning to get a french lop buck quite soon and will bond with them once he's been neutered. At 3 months old he's already twice their size - is that a bad idea?

the area will be an 8x6 shed with an attached 6x6 run but the run can possibly be larger.

I've been slightly put off by phoning the rspca and being told that a trio will definitely fight in the spring but I've seen many groups on here that live together successfully.
The plan would be to house the new guy in the shed when we get him and keep the girls in their existing accommodation with their runs next to each other so they can see and sniff each other. That would be until he was neutered + a few weeks after for hormones to settle. Am I right in thinking that should make introducing them a little easier?

If anyone has any advice to offer me that would be great.

Theres no set law that trios will fight. Its largely down to the bunnies personalities. Similarly there is no reason you can't bond a larger rabbit with a smaller one. You'd need to go extra careful when bonding tho.

If you are going to put them next to each other you'll need to keep an eye on the girls. Sometimes when there is a atrange bun on the scene and the existing bun can't get to it, it will take its frustration out on its partner, this is called refered aggression. That doesn't mean that the rabbit necessarily wants to fight with the newbie its just annoyed that it can't get at it.

Theres no set law that trios will fight. Its largely down to the bunnies personalities. Similarly there is no reason you can't bond a larger rabbit with a smaller one. You'd need to go extra careful when bonding tho.

If you are going to put them next to each other you'll need to keep an eye on the girls. Sometimes when there is a atrange bun on the scene and the existing bun can't get to it, it will take its frustration out on its partner, this is called refered aggression. That doesn't mean that the rabbit necessarily wants to fight with the newbie its just annoyed that it can't get at it.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I had no idea!

Back