• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Bales - where do you store yours?

bobbedazzler

Warren Scout
Hi all :wave:

Just found a place near me delivers hay bales and they're only a fiver each, which I thought was quite a bargain. Problem is, I don't really know how/where to store it. We don't have a shed or garage so I just wondered where you all store yours?

A friend of mine has suggested getting a wheelie bin and storing it in there, which, although its not particularly pretty, is quite practical, I can tuck it away in a corner of the garden.

So where do you store yours and do you have any suggestions as to where I can put mine (oooeeerr missus! lol). ;)

We don't have a wheelie bin, well we do because we bought it ourselves (thanks council for not providing them) because we have to have somewhere to put rubbish bags due to the foxes. Anyway, hay. We store ours in one of these in the garage.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...280522&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

They claim to be waterproof but as ours is under cover I don't know if it really is or not. It's the perfect size for our bales though.

TBH £5 for a bale isn't cheap BUT if they are only delivering one at a time then it's not bad :) £3.50 is about the going rate if you were to collect one from a farmer/horsey person.

Yes I thought those big plastic outside storage thingies looked quite good too or if you wanted something prettier how about a little wendyhouse? You could get 3-4 bales in at a time I reckon. Loads on ebay!

I get my hay FOC...from a friends farm...I just take an old duvet cover and FILL it!! Store it in the shed at the mo, but when its winter I store it in the spare bedroom!!!!
Hope to get wheelie bin!!!!

I keep the big bales out in the garage but take slices of it and keep inside the bunny box - it's a giant plastic box with all their bits on it (spray, newspapers, treats etc)

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately haven't got room for a wendyhouse as well as all the other bun stuff (and still have room to move in the garden) but we do have room for one of those storage thingies, thanks for the link!

I thought a fiver was quite reasonable (that includes delivery) but I'll definitely shop around now and see if there are any other suppliers in the area.

Thanks again for all your suggestions so far, please do keep them coming though.

:D

I must admit £5 a bale does seem expensive :shock: But it's still cheap compared to bags from shops. A farmer delivered mine free 1 or 2 at a time but he's run out himself and said it will be going up from £2.50 to £3..... luckily meantime I've found another supplier but she's still only £2. 50 ........Sometimes I keep mine in the hallway but usually in the shed and 'decant' some of it into a bag for indoors
I have a bun here at the moment who likes nothing more than to spend ages inside the bag ( with one of my cats :shock: ) eating her way out :shock::lol:

How did you all find your suppliers? I've checked on yell but there aren't many at all in my area. Did you just pop down to your local farm or something?

Ours are about £4.60 but they are quite big. It's nice stuff so I'm happy to pay that. It's FAR better than P@H!! Both in cost and quality.

I'm planning on getting one of these... click to keep hay and food in.

I looked at the plastic ones, but hay needs to be kept dry and cool. In the summer they'll be like an oven...so thought it was best not to get one of those.

They also do 2ft wide ones.

(I got the idea from Parsnip bun who has loads of hay in a similar thing. (I buy as I go, but think it's a great idea to buy in bulk!...daddy has offered to bring some in his pickup!)

I pay £4.60 a bale, but its worth it as the bales are huge and amazingly soft and lush!! I sotre it in the shed stood on its end and I just take sections off the top as I need to. You have to stand them up the right way round tho or they fall over and go everywhere!

Best place to get them from is a riding school / equestrian supplies place.

Last edited:
Wheelie bin for mine. As i have a spare one.
When i moved into this house there wasnt a wheelie bin, so i rang the council to get one delivered ... they did, then the runaway bin turned up too! (think a neighbour had been borrowing it when the property had been empty!)

i really wanted to get a hay bale but i didnt have anywhere to store it so i actually leave the hay bale in the shed with my rabbits they love jumping up and down on it and digging through it :D

i really wanted to get a hay bale but i didnt have anywhere to store it so i actually leave the hay bale in the shed with my rabbits they love jumping up and down on it and digging through it :D

They don't pee on it then?

Wheelie bin for mine. As i have a spare one.
When i moved into this house there wasnt a wheelie bin, so i rang the council to get one delivered ... they did, then the runaway bin turned up too! (think a neighbour had been borrowing it when the property had been empty!)

Does is store ok in the wheelie bin with it being plastic? I was wondering about condensation etc?!? Thanks :D

Back