• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help needed pretty please x

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Hiya all, i have been posting for some help on pets forum uk and lady suggested i try here for your help, we brought two baby dwarf lops over a week ago breeder said they were 7 1/2 wks they both seemed to settle in fine in their new home and lovd being stroked and cuddled, they both ate and did their dirt fine not litter trained but didnt expect so soon, anyway on Sat last weekend we let them have run on grass they loved it but after putting them back in the little black on TOTO was very quiet for rest of day up a corner shallow breathing, not eating or drinking sunday came and went i kept check and he was worse very lethargic and floppy i phoned a vets monday morning who admitted him, they gave him two injections of fluid and one pain killer to try get guts going again also syringe fed him Recovery they also said they gave him a dandelion leaf he ate fine kept him in overnight and sent him home yesterady with Recovery for me to continue the care, he is still the same to me very pooly sitting corner wont eat unless i force feed the Recovery which he does take 1-2mls every couple hours i am now worried cause he not done a poo and his tummy is bloated and like a balloon i kept them on the food the breeder gave me but mixed some complete pellets in for changeover as recommended (have i done this to him as he eaten grass and thats made him ill) i am so worried he is dying he is literally so pooly its upsetting to watch he is so small too any advice would be greatly appreciated, i did get some pro-biotic powder mix for his water but finding it hard get him drink to be honest, phoned vets just and she said they will have him back in tomo to x-ray - what will this prove? i am presuming his digestive system hs shut down does it ever get going or am i just dragging the inevitable out i really want to give him as much chance as possible its heart breaking and i am new to all this thanks so much for reading Clare xxx

Don't worry, you did the right thing by going to the vets, your bun should hopefully be ok. well done for taking him to the vets, as soon as a rabbit stops eating and pooing its an emergency and they need to get to the vets asap!

I think the x ray will check for blockages, to see if he's eaten something he shouldnt have. sounds like your vet is taking this seriously, which is good.

Any introductions to a bun's diet should be done very slowly. Only let him on the grass for about 15 mins a day and build it up very slowly, and only introduce one type of new veg every few days.

Keep syringing him Recovery every couple of hours, and if he isn't drinking you could try him with chamomile tea or syringe him water, but he will also get water from the recovery. try wetting his pellets too as it'll make it easier for him to eat.

The same thing happened to my rabbit recently and he is fine now, it often happens in a change of situation, they can get stressed and stop eating.

good luck, I'm sending lots of vibes for you xx

Hi and welcome :wave: It sounds like bloat to me and this is very painful and can be extremely dangerous. Personally i think he needs to go back to the vet immediately for some strong painkillers and gut stimulant (assuming the stuff they have already given him isnt long lasting) Id also want some of these to take home, they are VITAL to get him better. Its great that hes having recovery but if his gut isnt moving (as no poops would suggest) it will just be sitting in his tummy blocking him up :(
id get him back to the vets now as an emergency. I dont
mean to worry u but this is extremely dangerous even for an adult bun, let alone a little baby. In the meantime keep him very warm (a hot watsr bottle under his bedding would be great) as you dont want his temperature to drop.
I really hope ur little guy gets better soon xxx

Hi there, given that Toto is still poorly despite your earlier trip to the vet I really think you need to get him back in as you've mentioned bloating & still no pooing.
Call the vets again & arrange to bring him straight in as an emergency.
Try to keep him warm - heat pad or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel inside his carrier.
Good luck & keep us posted.

Sorry I just re-read that, originally thought you said he had been pooing. Yeah, it does sound like bloat, I would take him to the vets asap as others have said. Still be cautious about grass etc as I said in previous post, but priority right now is going to the vets xx

He needs to be at the vets now. Baby rabbits deteriorate very quickly, and tomorrow will be too late for this little bloke. He needs pain relief, SQ fluids and a heat source, as he will be unable to maintain his temperature. Poor little chap, fingers crossed for him.

He needs admission to the Vets. It sounds as though he has bloat and I am affraid this is often fatal in such a young Rabbit. The poor boy should still be with his mother at 7.5 weeks and no decent breeder would sell such a young Rabbit............

At his age he has very immature guts and he is at high risk of enteritis/enterotoxaemia. At the moment he will be in pain and this needs addressing with regular analgesia. Gut motility meds are unlikely to be appropriate if his stomach is grossly distended. He will definately require fluid and heat therapy.

Please get this little one back to a Vet now.

Thanks ladies i took him back earlier they have give injection of metaclopramide at my request cause they just wanted to x-ray i said he needs these constant pain killers i think if that will help re-stimulate i have him here at work with me bless he has eaten hay YEAH and taken the recovery ok seems more perky just waiting for that damn POO lol, thanks for advice ladies if no poo by tomo i will take him back to vets in morning made an appointment just incase do you guys think he will pull through with keeping him warm, painkillers and recovery this is the best i seem him he popping his head up out of carrier to watch me bless him i so hope he does a poo today what happens next if he doesnt and they x-ray what else can they do xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i am no expert but he sounds to be on the right road to recovery. :D
sorry i cant help but didnt want to read and run. has his tummy gone down at all?

It sounds like grass sickness.. if they aren't used to it - it can be too rich for them and cause the bloat. I would avoid any unusual foods and cut down on veg/leaves etc until your poor bun gets better.
Sending lots of bloated tum reducing vibes x x x x :wave:

unfortunately I think it was the grass, I have a 101/2 week old bun he has still not been on the grass for the last few days I have been giving him handfuls of grass increasing it ever so slightly every day. Spring grass is very rich and if their tummy isnt used to it it will cause problems!

Hope he gets better soon though! Sending lots of pooing vibes!!

Oh thanks for you lovely messages ladies i am hoping he is over worse now yeah could of ate grass whilst we let them have hop around, i havent given any veg yet darent and will leave that kinda thing till least 4 months and try tiny bits when i do but i think i will be very careful with Toto the vet checked his tummy and thought it seemed same as yesterday she said he has got poo there so hopefully this injections and all this hay he eating will help now he seems perky and moved the most today in 4 days thanks again ladies nice to know someone is there listening i am so glad i found this site xxxxx

update

Toto seemed perky after his injection ate hay and drank some water from saucer seemed to have little nose around and groom but been asleep for few hours now looks settled sleepin on side sprawled out but still no poo how long will it take for this injection to stimulate and will it what else can i be doing to help him poo oh god this is awful just waiting aint it xxxx:cry:

At least it sounds like he's more comfortable now, keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know I hate the waiting!! xx

they have give injection of metaclopramide at my request cause they just wanted to x-ray i said he needs these constant pain killers

Is this the only meds he's had? I thought metaclop was a gut stimulant not a painkiller.

I'm glad he's starting to feel better tho.

Amy104 - they gave fluid injections monday to rehydrate then Metoclopramide i am getting confused with pain killer and gut stimulants i dont know the names i thought was he was having ws pain killer

he still not done poo am i feeding him enough i am trying 1-2mls of recovery every four hours and water also just gave 0.2ml of lactulose like another lady suggested earlier that she got sent home with once, do i now try the pineapple juice??

Amy104 - they gave fluid injections monday to rehydrate then Metoclopramide i am getting confused with pain killer and gut stimulants i dont know the names i thought was he was having ws pain killer

he still not done poo am i feeding him enough i am trying 1-2mls of recovery every four hours and water also just gave 0.2ml of lactulose like another lady suggested earlier that she got sent home with once, do i now try the pineapple juice??

No

Please get this baby Bunny admitted to the Vet.
I cannot emphasise strongly enough how imperative it is that he receives intensive care if he is to stand any chance of survival.

Im glad you found your way here ;) . I think the best place for this little bunny is with the vets as Jane said. Keeping my fingers crossed for you x

Back