• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - re getting a rehomed rabbit

Hi I would be very grateful for any help from experienced people on this. We lost our very beloved rabbit in january I was absolultely brokenhearted. I have decided to get another rabbit, and have found a lovely little girl at a rabbit rehome - she has been used for breeding and then abandoned and looks really sad, my heart goes out to her my questions are: my little rabbit went everywhere with me and was very friendly and loving, in your experiences will I be able to cox this poor little love to become as friendly, she is not really used to be being handled although when you do pick her up she seems very happy in your arms being cuddled. Also I am being offered one of her babies also a little girl to come with her, is this better for her, will it herp her settle with me etc. Any help greatly appreciated, I understand she will not be a replacement for my other rabbit, but would just like to give her a good life. Jane

Well done on thinking about rescuing a rabbit instead of buying one. I'm sure that if you spend time with her, she will gradually become friendly. Make sure that you get her spayed, if she's not spayed already, to avoid aggression and uterine cancer.

Rabbits are best not kept on their own, so getting her daughter will be a good idea, as long as you get the daughter spayed as well, when she's three months old!

Aw, poor bunny.

I would say that there is every chance she can bond with you, but it may not be in the same way as your current bunny, but in a way that this bunny is happy with. I have an ex breeding bunny and she was shy and timid and cowered but after being here for three years (and she came round very quickly), she is very confident, not scared, comes to the front, all of that. She is not a cuddle bunny, but is ok being picked up and loves strokes in the right place on her body.

I would suggest that it is worthwhile being aware that until all are spayed and neutered you may need to house them all separately, and also, there is the possibility they may not all bond, so be aware of that too 'just in case'. Hopefully that won't be an issue though.

Back