• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have really upset my buns tums, Please could I have some advice?

Carrie14

Mama Doe
I was in such a rush at lunch time, I gave Feegal and Sally far too much Hazel leaves.

I got home and found a patch a diarrhea on the floor.

They are both eating tons of hay, so not in gut stasis. They are both happy and interested, basically normal. No gut stasis stance or anything.

I know not to feed them any fresh but for how long? Do you think it would be best not to give any pellets? I gave them a couple each as soon as I saw the diarrhea to check they were still eating. Their bums are clean.

O/h has put some petrol in the car and my parents are on standby for baby sitting if any sign of gut stasis, (obviously straight to emergency vet.)

So my questions are

1: How long to withhold fresh.

2: Can they have pellets, as I want to use these through the night to check they are still eating.

3: How could I have been so :censored: stupid:cry: I am so angry with myself. I know better but thought they wouldn't eat all the leaves:roll:

Bloody fool:evil:

I can't advise as haven't been in this situation, but hopefully someone will soon! Did you try calling your vets to ask for advice? Hope they get better soon.

Do they normally suffer from gut stasis? I would personally hold off the veg and pellets through the night and see how their tummies are in the morning. If one of them still has a bad tummy, they will need to go to the vets anyway, as you dont want them getting dehydrated :( Give them plenty of hay to nom on, i guess the odd pellet every few hours to check theyre eating wont hurt :)

Sending lots of vibes for them both xxx

When my bunny gets messy bottom from too much fresh stuff I just give hay and water for at least 24 hours or 48 hours if no improvement. This normally sorts out any problems and then introduce pellets again slowly and then veg slowly after that.

Do they normally suffer from gut stasis? I would personally hold off the veg and pellets through the night and see how their tummies are in the morning. If one of them still has a bad tummy, they will need to go to the vets anyway, as you dont want them getting dehydrated :( Give them plenty of hay to nom on, i guess the odd pellet every few hours to check theyre eating wont hurt :)

Sending lots of vibes for them both xxx

Thank you. Feegal had gut stasis once but that was, again, my fault. He has been eating hay for a couple of hours now. Sally has just stopped. But she always finishes before him.

When my bunny gets messy bottom from too much fresh stuff I just give hay and water for at least 24 hours or 48 hours if no improvement. This normally sorts out any problems and then introduce pellets again slowly and then veg slowly after that.

OK thank you. It was just one patch of diarrhea and a one squashy cecotrope.

Sally is back nomming hay.

1, I would wait 48 hours, personally.

2, I would personally only give minimally.

3, It happens to all of us. You couldn't have known this would happen. Mistakes happen, its how we deal with them which is important, and you are doing all the right things.

Those are merely my opinions and not advice.

Hopefully though, you won't see any problems at all after this.

ETA-, what I would do to push the hay is keep putting in fresh hay very regularly because they seem to like to eat fresh new hay, over hay that has been sitting, so that would encourage them to eat more and hopefully settle any issues quicker.

1, I would wait 48 hours, personally.

2, I would personally only give minimally.

3, It happens to all of us. You couldn't have known this would happen. Mistakes happen, its how we deal with them which is important, and you are doing all the right things.

Those are merely my opinions and not advice.

Hopefully though, you won't see any problems at all after this.

ETA-, what I would do to push the hay is keep putting in fresh hay very regularly because they seem to like to eat fresh new hay, over hay that has been sitting, so that would encourage them to eat more and hopefully settle any issues quicker.

Thank you:) I completely agree with giving fresh hay, but strangely as I keep emptying the litter tray to check for wee and poos, they eat more hay out of the rubbish bag too:lol:

Hi

Are you ok?

Sorry only just seen email and this thread.

(I will email you back later - at work at moment!)

How are you buns this morning? How are you feeling this morning?

Sue
xx

Hi

Are you ok?

Sorry only just seen email and this thread.

(I will email you back later - at work at moment!)

How are you buns this morning? How are you feeling this morning?

Sue
xx

We are all fine thank you:wave:

I am trying to put a cabin bed together on my own with a raging headache, hardly any sleep, and lots of pulled muscles from riding a horse yesterday who has only just been broken in. But I couldn't be happier as poor Sally and Feegal are munching lots of hay:D

Back