• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Wildie - Advice Needed Please

wally4eva

Mama Doe
My friend said to me yesterday that the day before she had found a baby rabbit in her garden. She said her and her brother and sisters had been able to cuddle it a stroke it and that it was very small roughly 10cm in length, they offered it food but it did not take it.

I asked what they had done with it and she said let it go. I thought if they had managed to catch it without it running away it probably would have been cought by a fox or a cat overnight:cry:. However I asked her if she had seen it since with its family and she said they had seen it at the end of her garden and had given it a piece of cabbage and they didn't see any other rabbits around.

What should I advise her to do? Would it be strong enough to survive on its own? Or should she do something to help it?

Please help

Thank you

Last edited:
If it's a wildie they need to leave it alone - handling it will only cause more harm than good. Even if she took it to the vet the chances of it being hand reared successfully are minimal, and the parents might kill it if it was released smelling like vets.

It is sad, but they just have to let nature do its thing here.

Last edited:
I don't know much about widlies, but would have said I'm sure a wildie wouldn't be so tame, even Princess wouldn't let me stroke her when we first got her :?

I don't know much about widlies, but would have said I'm sure a wildie wouldn't be so tame, even Princess wouldn't let me stroke her when we first got her :?

Thank you Hoppit!

Thats what I thought, but maybe if it was a baby it might be easier to catch?
Also they live in the country side and have had wild rabbits in their garden before.
She said it was brown (wild colour) with a white diamond on forhead, do wildies have white patches?

Last edited:
I'm starting to think now. With the white patch it might be domestic or can wildies have white patches?
Would a baby wildy be so easy to catch?

Back