• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Breed is Mitzy?

Oh right, thanks, so what's the difference between a dwarf and a mini lop?

Am I right in thinking the dwarf doesn't have any dwarf in it (Mitzy's quite a chunk) but the mini's are in fact, mini??

Do they look the same other than their size?

Thanks, Jo

You were right the first time. Dwarfs (2-2.5kg) are medium size rabbits. Mini's (1.5-2kg) are much smaller and classed as a small rabbit.

Oh right, thanks, so what's the difference between a dwarf and a mini lop?

Dwarf lops are only dwarf compared to french/german lops, they aren't actually dwarf rabbits. As others have said, they tend to weigh in the region of 2.5kg while minis weigh about 1.5kg - although as with humans, there will be a lot of variation and I suspect many of them have genes from both somewhere back in their history!

Minilops also tend to have much rounder, flatter faces (like they've run straight into a wall) and their ears hang at a slightly different angle. Dwarves still have flat faces but there is slightly more angle to their nose.

Just to confuse matters, in the US, what we call a dwarf lop, they call a minilop, and what we call a minilop, they call a Holland lop :lol:

It won't let me look, it is asking me for a password. I guess the important thing in any case is that buns are happy and healthy regardless of what breed they are or whether they are any breed at all :)

Oh well thanks for trying, how bizarre that it worked y'day when I posted the pics of Mitzy! Oh well I'll try again with them individually :

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/BitzyBlossom/Lops/?action=view&current=Lop.jpg

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/BitzyBlossom/Lops/?action=view&current=lop2.jpg

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/BitzyBlossom/Lops/?action=view&current=Lop3.jpg

I just want to be able to identify which is which .... just for my own peace of mind now! (I'm just a bit OCD with stuff like that! lol).

They all look like dwarf lops to me. It's harder to tell when they're young though - the first one in particular looks more as if it could have some minilop genes but I'm used to seeing adults not babies so it's hard to tell if that's just because it's not developed its adult shape yet.

Ooooh can someone tell me what Mini and Mischa are?

_IGP7278-vi.jpg

_IGP7104-vi.jpg

They should both be mini lops in theory.

They do look more like minilops to me (although quite big ones, unless the photo is quite deceptive?), if you compare the shape of their faces to those in the third photo in Bitzy's post, you can see that these two have much flatter noses and 'squarer' faces :)

Their weight is 1.6kg so they are about the weight of mini lops although they have lost 0.2kg since the start of the year which we are looking into. Photos might be a bit deceptive size wise as there isn't anything to reference them too. :?

Back