• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tummy troubles when moulting

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
hi everyone :wave:

Just wondering if anyone else has problems when their buns are moulting?

Bertie had a really bad tummy episode on Saturday night. Luckily I had some maxolon that my vet gave me and also some metacam (for emergencies). This was an emergency, he was hunched up, grinding his teeth and he kept kind of backing up. After I had given him the meds (by mouth) I sat with him and tried to rub his tum and I got a hot water bottle and got him to lay over it. After several hours he started to pick up and has seemed fine since (touch wood!) but this has happened before when they have been moulting. I brush them regularly and give them pineapple when they are moulting but I don't know what else I can do to stop him having these problems, any other ideas would be gratefully received. :roll:

i think upping the fibre eaten is supposed to help.. :D:D

i guess i'll know myself if cutting veg and pellets down help after May is over (two years running Alvin has had stasis on the 24th May).

Hmm this is interesting, Jims had a little 'Off' day on Sunday and I was all ready to take him to the vets Monday if he was no better but (Touch wood!) he seems to have picked up and is more or less himself again, maybe he was having trouble due to moulting?!

The exact same thing happened with Lily last week, she went off her food in the afternoon, I gave her metacam, metaclop and syringe feed (at the vets advice) and she had perked up by the evening. She is molting at the minute and was doing poos with hair stringing them together.

I have reduced her pellets and her veg to try to get her to eat more hay. I think if they are eating enough fibre the hair passes through ok. I have also ordered pineapple tablets and avipro which I am waiting to arrive. I have been trying to get her to drink more aswell, to keep her gut hydrated- the avipro added to the water will help as she loves the taste of it and drinks more than usual.

That's a good idea about cutting down the pellets to get them to eat more hay, thank you.

It sounds like I am not the only one with this problem. Bertie (the black one in my sig) is a particularly "licky" rabbit and I don't think this helps as he is constantly grooming Daisy so he has twice the fur inside him. I have noticed lots of poos strung together too so I am pretty sure that's the problem.

I am hoping he will be ok now as I have just found out that my own vet is on hols this week!

marleyandme - be careful about the pineapple tabs as I had some bromelain tabs and my vet told me to stop using them as they are full of bulking agents which could cause calcium build up in the bladder. She said that fresh pineapple is better if you can.

Thanks for all your replies.

Back