• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's done, and I am proud :D *pics added post 13*

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I bonded my unbondable with my wildie. Woo!

Sandy has refused and fought with probably about 10 different men here, and I'm so happy that she now has a boyfriend to call her own!

Roger has been so sad since losing Tilly, and he now binkies like no tomorrow. Its just so, so awesome!

All the wounds have now healed, all the chasing has stopped, and they are just happy :)

Thank God for that!

.... on to the next..... (The Dopeys and someone- preferably Autumn).

Last edited:
My wildie is a black wildie (how he ended up caught by the RSPCA Inspector :roll:) but yes, I'll get some pictures of them tomorrow.

And no, it wasn't too nervewracking once I realised she wasn't going to try and tear him limb from limb and he likewise to her. The hardest bit was the over night supervision and having to be awake from 5.30 for a few days (to see them through dawn).

They both are just so happy :D

Thanks guys :)

Here are some requested pics. They aren't very good because I have to take them from outside their run because otherwise Roger disappears.

Sandy

001.jpg

Roger

002.jpg

And together

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

Wow :love::love: is this the wildie bun? not at all what as I expected (don't know what I expected really) but they're gorgeous, well done :D

Yup, Roger is my wildie (he's the plain black one). He is wildie shape, just black.

He was caught by an RSPCA Inspector because they thought he was an escaped domestic, but he was accepted by his warren and apparently very happy there. he didn't cope with captivity at all and faced being PTS because the RSPCA didn't know what to do with him, so they asked me to give him a chance. He's come round a treat but still keeps some of his wildie traits. With hindsight, he was a full wildie, just a stupid colour :lol: I feel sad for him not being a wildie anymore but also know with the binkies and the dead bunny flops, he is happy, even though its not where he should be. The Inspector stuffed up here and all I can now do is what's best for him, and right now he is happy, and that's great. Sandy has done that for him :)

Roger does look like a domestic at first sight, though, so I'm not surprised the RSPCA got it wrong. He will surely have a much longer life with you though, than in the wild and he certainly looks happy enough.

I don't know anything about rabbit colour genetics, so I assume that one/both parents were black rabbits as opposed to him being a genetic abnormality, like albino. I have never seen a black wild rabbit or hare. I know in some species they would reject unusual coloured animals, which suggests that rabbits don't care about colour, can't actually see colour differences too well, or go more by other markers like smell than colouring.

You learn so much on this site. I never imagined that people could keep wild rabbits alongside domestic ones.

I don't know loads about genetics, but if you mate an agouti (i.e. a wild coloured bunny) in domestic rabbits, you can get anything that is a self (i.e. like Roger- a plain colour), an otter (like Sand funnily enough), or an agouti. I would presume that in recent generations there probably was a released/escaped domestic that mated with a wildie and Roger may be a grandson of that mating, something like that. He is very happy inside and does binkies and such, which I wouldn't expect from a 100% wild bunny. He came to me at roughly 7 months old (based on size and such), so he had a good wild grounding in him.

This is all pure speculation. All we know for fact is that he was accepted into a wild warren and shows very definite wildie traits, even now, and when he arrived he didn't cope with captivity at all- so much so that he was a complete danger to himself.

Back