• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the diff between bedding hay and eating hay??

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Just wondering - I buy expensive oxbow timothy hay, burges hay and bedding hay that's really cheap, just for them to sleep in. What do they guzzle like there's no tomorrow??.... you got it - the really cheap bedding hay - It's woodlands bedding hay - do you get it on the mainland (I'm in N.Ireland). Do you think that's ok?

my piggies are like that, they prefer the cheap stuff to expensive, and my rabbit eats straw instead of hay if i let him :shock: eating the cheap hay should be fine though :) as long as its a good quality: not too short, not brown, a nice smell. Not sure what Woodlands hay is like but I've heard of it

If it's any consolation my bunnies like to have a munch on their straw, wee on the dust free stuff and then munch on the cheap stuff I got from pets at home just for bedding.

Then every now and again just to keep me on my toes they'll refuse the pets at home stuff to eat and only eat dust free stuff :roll:

My two are cheapskates and don't really enjoy the expensive hays (luckily for my purse) :lol: I buy farm bales and that's for bedding and eating.

My two are cheapskates and don't really enjoy the expensive hays (luckily for my purse) :lol: I buy farm bales and that's for bedding and eating.

Same here. They go a bit crazy for the hay from the horse place. They never wait for me to get it out of the bag, they dive straight in. It's SO much better than the P@H stuff. I don't know how they can sell that rubbish for the high prices they do!

I have tried 4/5 different types of hay and to my surprise it was also the cheap stuff that they love the most! we tried the timothy hay - pet store own brand and more popular brands ( all in the region of £3.80+,When i got them the thick stuff they only ate the big chunky bits, which they didnt really eat, more bite and drop :lol: But I found a little stall in our shopping centre and bought a big bag of meadow hay (much bigger than the other bags) for £2.20. it had nice colour, smell and not so powdery with nice long strips of grass. They love it! i put it in a hanging ball and they cant get enough of it! :D:D
since then they have started chewing more on the willow toys ive bought them since they have eaten the thinner meadow hay to keep their teeth nice and short.

Last edited:
Aw. I'll not worry then. The stuff they like smells sweet is bendy and greenish! I should be glad they're such wee hay munchers!

Mine eat both the expensive and also I have seen them nibble the meadow hay, the expensive stuff I get is the Oat Hay and they love the 'Bunny' hay from the hayexperts, I also get Timothy and Readigrass and they eat the lot.

They absolutely adore plantain - they go mad for it!

Its simple really:

bedding hay you wee on and then eat as much as you can; eating hay you eat what you can and then wee on the rest:lol::lol:

Thanks to Parsley for this explanation of the difference:D

Whatever hay they like,as long as they eat it.Mine love cheap hay.I find as long as the hay is greenish,they love it.:D

Thankyou everyone! I feel I am now well educated in the finer points of the usage and consuption of hay for bunnies. :D

I'm so glad to read this - mine only eat the cheap bales I buy from a local farm whereas when I bought more expensive stuff they used it to poo on!

My bunnies get a farm bale, oxbow western timothy, Burns green oat hay, Readi grass. I use it for whatever really, since they're house bunnies, they don't sleep much in hay, they prefer cold laminated flooring on their bellies! :lol::love:

Back