• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help - Letter to BY Breeder

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hello,
I'm wondering if you could help. I'm writing a letter to Harleys breeder, and need a bit more info on these subjects to back me up...

- Selling rabbits at 6 weeks old, way too young
- 30,000 rescues
- Selling rabbits to U/16's

There are many, many more things wrong with them but would rather not go into detail in public, and I allready have an idea what to write for that :)

Last edited:
What is the letter for? What is the purpose of it? what sort of information do you need?

Its to send to Harleys breeder...

I'm mainly wanting more info on why it's bad to sell rabbits at 6 weeks old, and why it's a bad idea to sell them to under 16's (without parents there!) as they do both of these, and it's an attempt to get them to change their ways.

selling to under 16's is illegal (without a parent or guardian there)

I know that, I was meaning in detail why its a bad idea. Like children easily getting bored etc. I have a great example of this, as one of the rabbits they sold to an u/16 is now being neglected

Does anyone have the link to the bit about it being illegal to sell to U/16's? Can't find it on the defra site

Its to send to Harleys breeder...

I'm mainly wanting more info on why it's bad to sell rabbits at 6 weeks old, and why it's a bad idea to sell them to under 16's (without parents there!) as they do both of these, and it's an attempt to get them to change their ways.

tbh your complaints may fall on deaf ears... they should surely be aware of this law and only want to make money. If they are breaking the law you could maybe contact RSPCA or environmental health? If you send them this letter and nothing is done, then contact the authorities then they will probably know it was you

tbh your complaints may fall on deaf ears... they should surely be aware of this law and only want to make money. If they are breaking the law you could maybe contact RSPCA or environmental health? If you send them this letter and nothing is done, then contact the authorities then they will probably know it was you

They are clueless, I doubt if they know anything to do with rabbits at all. They live near me, and no one else is doing anything about it, least I can do is try. The condition in which the rabbits were kept were also terrible. I have reported them to the RSPCA but they haven't done anything yet. I'm not telling them to change their ways, but if one thing in this letter convinces them to change (even slightly) for the better, its better than not at all

Hello,
I'm wondering if you could help. I'm writing a letter to Harleys breeder, and need a bit more info on these subjects to back me up...

- Selling rabbits at 6 weeks old, way too young
- 30,000 rescues
- Selling rabbits to U/16's

This might help.

http://www.thebrc.org/codes.htm

The BRC states regarding the sale of rabbits, "The rabbit must be old enough to sustain itself and survive without the help from its mother. (Minimum 8 weeks of age)".

Of course, the BRC is effectively a breeders' club, its codes of practice are at a breeders 'discretion' and none are actually enforceable by a member of the public against a BRC member. However, it might be useful as back-up.

The number of rabbits in rescue is, I understand, around 33,000 in the UK.

Selling to U 16s is illegal. In addition, many people of that age might be unwilling or unable to undertake and fulfill the commitment to the rabbit for its natural life of around 10 years. It is also a period of their lives in which other priorities and commitments arise which could detract from the care of the rabbit. For example, schoolwork, university, boyfriends/girlfriends, employment, etc.

Hope this helps.

They are clueless, I doubt if they know anything to do with rabbits at all. They live near me, and no one else is doing anything about it, least I can do is try. The condition in which the rabbits were kept were also terrible. I have reported them to the RSPCA but they haven't done anything yet. I'm not telling them to change their ways, but if one thing in this letter convinces them to change (even slightly) for the better, its better than not at all

ok fair enough :wave: :( sad that the RSPCA hasnt dont anything. maybe print out some RWAF leaflets for them to help with living conditions?

This might help.

http://www.thebrc.org/codes.htm

The BRC states regarding the sale of rabbits, "The rabbit must be old enough to sustain itself and survive without the help from its mother. (Minimum 8 weeks of age)".

Of course, the BRC is effectively a breeders' club, its codes of practice are at a breeders 'discretion' and none are actually enforceable by a member of the public against a BRC member. However, it might be useful as back-up.

The number of rabbits in rescue is, I understand, around 33,000 in the UK.

Selling to U 16s is illegal. In addition, many people of that age might be unwilling or unable to undertake and fulfill the commitment to the rabbit for its natural life of around 10 years. It is also a period of their lives in which other priorities and commitments arise which could detract from the care of the rabbit. For example, schoolwork, university, boyfriends/girlfriends, employment, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's great :)

Wow this is going to be a long message :lol:

Back