• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please

demelza

Warren Scout
hi all, i have 2 rabbits that are meant to be female obvousily one is male as last night they had babies. i've taken the one that must be the male out. so is there anything i need to do to the babies? does mum need anything extra? how long should they stay with mum? when will they look like rabbit? when should i handle babies?

is th one you've taken DEFFINATLY male? how old is mum/dad?
i think its 8 weeks they need to be seperated by sex (females can stay with mum i belive) they do look like bunnys ;) just wrinkly ones. no idea on the other questions someone will be along soon though

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you are 150% certain it is the male you have taken out.

Theres nothing really you can do now, rub your hands in the does bedding before doing anything and just have a little peek at the nest but don't touch the babies yet. Mum will feed the babies only once a day, so don't worry if you think she's not feeding them.

Check the nest everyday just to make sure they are all wriggling around. Usually at about 10 days they eyes start to open and you can start to handle them when they come out of the nest themselves, just make sure you always rub your hands with mums bedding.

Make sure mummy bunny has plenty of hay and veg and pellets, you can give her unlimited food at the moment as she needs all her energy to feed the babies, just don't suddenly increase her food, increase gradually over a few days if she's been on normal rations.

The babies can stay with mum until about 8 weeks, then they need to be seperated into males and females (easier said than done!) You need to keep an eye on the babies when they are weaning to make sure they can cope without mum and rehome them at about 10 - 12 weeks (unless you keep them!)

It might be an idea to have daddy bunny castrated asap so he can be bonded back with mum when babies are weaned, as castration will take 8 weeks at least to have the full effect.

Hope this helps you :wave:

As others have said don't touch the babies until hey start crawling out of the nest. You can check the nest to see if everybun is still alive by carefully moving the nesting material using a hand that has stroked mum and picked up some of her litter etc. I also wore a clear plastic glove the type you can use for food preperation.

Mum will feed once a day and more than likely ignore the nest the rest of the time so that she doesn't draw he attention of preditors to it. Make sure she has plenty of fresh hay and extra pellets, fruit and veg everyday, build this up gradually over a few days.

Babies should be OK with mum up to 12 weeks old, I would take them to a vet for sexing as it is very difficult.

Has she nested somewhere quite and out of the way? She needs to feel that her nest and babies are safe.

Get dad neuted and keep him in a differet hutch until the babies have left mum. He needs time to recover and get his hormones out of his system too before being re bonded with mum.

You need to check the kits every day (having rubbed your hands in the bedding thoroughly first) to make sure their tummies are round, not wrinkly. Mum will need extra food during the next few weeks, and limitless hay of course.

It might be a good idea to get dad neutered as soon as. Good luck!

HI,

I went through this a month ago when a rabbit I rehomed 2 and a half weeks before had 5 kits. They are now a month old and thriving.

I checked them every day and handled them but made sure Mum was not threatened I also ran my hands in mums coat and tray and their nest before I handled them.

I made sure Mum had plenty of veg, pellets and water and she did the rest. Don't worry if she is appearing laid back and not with them as that is nature and as long as you check their bellies are full ever morning they will be fine.

PM me if you need to. I was stressed out at first but its enjoyable now and I am keeping all mine (currently saving for their neuters and spays)

edited to say you will need to carefully lift the nest into a next box as I had to as this will be essential later when they might accidentally wiggle away and get get left in the cold
Good luck

Back