• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My little lad is being neutered what do I do for when he comes home?

andy5898

Warren Scout
My little lad is being neutered on Friday. I have been told he has to be inside over night. But seeing as he never normally lives inside, what do I need for him inside? Does he need his sawdust or will he be quite happy with the carpet? I have a spare run which I can put for him in the spare room. But ideally don't want him using the carpet as a toilet! Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=225257

I would put some newspaper down and some vet beds/fleece blankets with a towel or two underneath. Fleece (and vet bed) wicks away moisture, so if there is a towel underneath and newspaper this will absorb it nicely. Sawdust is probably a bit dusty for his wound immediately after his op.
You could also use lots of lovely SOFT hay if you prefer, but I would use a paper based litter underneath for absorbency that is less dusty than sawdust.
You will probably find for mess reasons and convenience just using some towels and a blanket will be easier.

Good luck :):wave:

ETA I would also ask the vet for the weekend/out of hours contact no.'s for an emergency vet.... just in case. Generally it might be better to have surgery done mid-week but my vets are open Sat and Sun normal working hours anyway, some vets are. Castrations are straight forward but it's best to be prepared rather than trying to find the no. in a panic. Don't forget the pain relief!

Last edited:
I agree with what prettylupin said about bedding. You want something soft and non dusty but absorbant too. If you dont have vetbed fleece or towels will do.
He'll probably be abit dopey when he comes home and will need to be kept in a quiet room with little disturbance so he can sleep peacefully. As hes male which usually recover much faster than females, he'll probably eat pretty soon after you get him home. Make sure hes got plenty of fresh hay and some of his fave veggies available. You want to get him eating Asap. If he usually has a bottle of water id offer him a bowl aswell as for some reason most buns prefer a bowl post op. You might also want to provide a warm hot water bottle under his bed as after a GA they find it hard to maintain their body temp, this is why your vet suggested bringing him indoors.
Hope it all goes well and he has a speedy recovery :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=225257

I would put some newspaper down and some vet beds/fleece blankets with a towel or two underneath. Fleece (and vet bed) wicks away moisture, so if there is a towel underneath and newspaper this will absorb it nicely. Sawdust is probably a bit dusty for his wound immediately after his op.
You could also use lots of lovely SOFT hay if you prefer, but I would use a paper based litter underneath for absorbency that is less dusty than sawdust.
You will probably find for mess reasons and convenience just using some towels and a blanket will be easier.

Good luck :):wave:

ETA I would also ask the vet for the weekend/out of hours contact no.'s for an emergency vet.... just in case. Generally it might be better to have surgery done mid-week but my vets are open Sat and Sun normal working hours anyway, some vets are. Castrations are straight forward but it's best to be prepared rather than trying to find the no. in a panic. Don't forget the pain relief!

is it not monday today? :oops: :)
mine are outdoor rabbits and i kept them in overnight but keep the room coolish. i dont mean open the windows just coolish.
mine are girls and girls take longer to recover but dont panic if he doesnt eat in the first few hours. :)
prettylupin has said the rest. :D
good luck. :)

is it not monday today? :oops: :)

That made me laugh cos i was just about to say a big whoops how embarassing and that I think I need to go back to bed and get up again at the correct time of the week! :oops::lol:

But on re-reading the OP's post it does say booked in for Friday! So I am not as dozy as I thought I was! :D

Read that other thread I linked to through Andy and if you do a search for post-spay or post-neuter or post-castration care you will find tons of helpful info :wave:

He will probably be a bit groggy and sleepy, so something nice and comfy to sleep on as the others have said. Put a big cardboard box or the pet carrier inside his run maybe too so that he can hide somewhere that feels secure to sleep.

Herbs, especially strong ones like Mint, Parsley, Dill are really good to encourage him to eat if your worried, Wave them under his nose, you can even gently tap him on the nose with them to tempt him – one tastes often enough to get them eating.

He will be fine :)

That made me laugh cos i was just about to say a big whoops how embarassing and that I think I need to go back to bed and get up again at the correct time of the week! :oops::lol:

But on re-reading the OP's post it does say booked in for Friday! So I am not as dozy as I thought I was! :D

Read that other thread I linked to through Andy and if you do a search for post-spay or post-neuter or post-castration care you will find tons of helpful info :wave:

yes your right and im wrong. :oops: its not unusual for me to be wrong. :roll: :lol:

mine were done on a friday aswell. if they dont give you some pain releif ask for it. he will proberly get a dose after he's op but my vet gave me another 2 days worth. :)
good luck and im sure he'll be fine.

I have a small apex run with a little house on the back of it which would fit in the bedroom, but doesn't give him much room. Or I could just put his Run upstairs for the night and then find a box and towels for him to have as a bedroom. Which one do you reckon I should go for?

Cheers

I have a small apex run with a little house on the back of it which would fit in the bedroom, but doesn't give him much room. Or I could just put his Run upstairs for the night and then find a box and towels for him to have as a bedroom. Which one do you reckon I should go for?

Cheers

Whichever is easier - i'd go with the run with a cardboard box with two holes in it (buns like an exit and entry) and perhaps a tunnel if you've got one as well? and towels etc. if it were me.

Yes! Why not :) I would give him lots of choice of where to rest etc so a couple of towels/blankets down in different places. Try to put in some things of his that smell of him, or you, an old jumper of yours perhaps if he normally has sawdust, as being in a strange room in the house might be a bit scary without a familiar smell. Try and keep it quiet in there and perhaps the curtains drawn so it is dark too, this will make him feel safer.
I always find that a bun feels safer with something over their head.... so an upside down box is perfect :D

Probably already been mentioned but I would get in some fresh herbs from the supermarket or your garden on the day. Strong smelling ones work wonders for a bun to encourage them to eat, and if he is used to grass pick some grass and dandelions too.
Don't forget to take a little bowlful of his usual pellets to the vet for when he comes round. I take my buns a little pack lunch to the vet - veggies/herbs and the vet nurse puts the bag in the fridge. :thumb:

Back