• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house

clarebear

Mama Doe
We should soon be moving house. I just wondered if there was anything I should know about moving a bunny to a new house/garden etc. We will be taking his hutch and run with us, so that will be familiar, but I guess it will be strange for him.

I take it he's an outside bun, in which case as long as he has his own hutch and all his belongings with him he should be just fine, we moved house in the last few months and ours are indoor buns and i was expecting them to be traumatised by it all but they were fine. Good luck with the move :)

I would take some soiled litter/soiled litter tray with you for the first day so that he can smell his own scent at the new place... even just a handful of droppings... it makes them feel a lot more secure with any change in location.
I would also do a quick check of the garden before letting bun out - check for holes under fences, poisonous plants etc.

We thought we might have to move this year, but so far we don't, but if we did our plan was to confine the buns to just one room for a week or two whilst they adjust, keep their litter habits etc, then slowly increase their territory over the next few weeks. We would have also started with a secure run in the garden and only gone freerange once satisfied the garden was safe enough.
I'm sure Bramble will be fine :D Good luck with it all :wave:

I worried so much and shed tears before moving my bunnies, especially since they were downsizing from a very large to a very small garden, but they settled in just fine and seem to love exploring their new garden. Just make sure it's secure and bunnyproofed, as they will quickly find any gaps etc :)

Back