• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Out for Summer/In for Winter?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone else does this, or has considered it?

We did this every year with my first bun - she had 5ft hutch and run in the garden from april to october and a 3ft hutch (i know too small!) inside with free-ranging all day from October to April.

With the buns i have now, they were outside all year last year, and hated the cold and wet in winter and it created problems with them coming inside for exercise and cuddles. This year they've been inside over winter and loved it - had a bedroom to themselves all day when i'm at uni, then bombed around the house when we're home and flopped out on the carpet in the evenings. But they love being outside now its warm - Kylo is usually outside when i feed them in the mornings and they love mowing the lawn.

So i am planning to go back to my old system this year and bring them in for winter again. Anyone else do this routinely every year?? Just wondering if i am really odd??!!!

Last edited:
We don't do it but if it works for you and your garden and house accomodates the idea well I think it is a very sensible option. My buns love being outside in summer... and barely come upstairs to our sitting room where they usually spend most of the day in winter. I don't see it being a problem at all. :)

I think its a really good idea and its definitely something I'd think about doing if I got bunnies (just been looking after a bunny and think I'm hooked so this may well become a reality).

I hadn't done it before as they'd always been happy in the shed, but this last year they made it very clear that they wanted to come in for winter. It's been really nice in some ways, having them indoors, and I feel closer to them. On the other hand the place stinks and there's hay EVERYWHERE! :roll:

I often think about doing that. The only thing that would stop me is that mine absolutly love outside including playing in the snow and I prob couldn't let them out in the very cold weather. Which I would suffer some very dirty looks for!! Still thinking about it. Will be interested to read other opinions.

I often think about doing that. The only thing that would stop me is that mine absolutly love outside including playing in the snow and I prob couldn't let them out in the very cold weather. Which I would suffer some very dirty looks for!! Still thinking about it. Will be interested to read other opinions.

For goodness sake, if they like it outdoors LEAVE THEM OUT THERE!!! :shock::shock::shock:

;):lol:

For goodness sake, if they like it outdoors LEAVE THEM OUT THERE!!! :shock::shock::shock:

;):lol:

Ha haaaaa ha ha!! You're so right! I would be doing it purely for myself!! Miss them when I can't spend as much time outdoors in the bleakest weather! Will keep them out! Don't shout at me, I'm easily frightened!

I hadn't done it before as they'd always been happy in the shed, but this last year they made it very clear that they wanted to come in for winter. It's been really nice in some ways, having them indoors, and I feel closer to them. On the other hand the place stinks and there's hay EVERYWHERE! :roll:

yeah the mess is an issue, spesh in a shared house - a good hoover is essential! the smell i find isnt so bad if they're litter traind and claned out regularly, but it is still noticeable.

i loved having them in, especially as Indi got a lot more people-friendly. and they were a million times more active inside - outside in the cold they just sat in bed all day, which for rexes is a very bad idea. I did let mine out in the snow - on the warmer days, for about half an hour. i know thats contraversial but they went out of their own accord and were dried after and had no ill effects.

Problem is the expense and hassle of 2 set-ups i guess. I just dont think any of my buns, past and present, would be happy being exclusively indoors or outdoors? :?

I'd love to have them indoors all the time, but its not an option so it's outside all year round. Although if it's a baby buns first winter I put them in a smaller hutch in the garage (it's nice and light in there)

I've done it the past couple of winters, but only with ill bunnies (and their friends) who would not survive outside. They have had a marvellous time indoors, but equally, they should have been outdoors, you but do what you have to do.

I would love to have all mine in all the time, but that's not possible, so I have those inside who don't do very well outside, for whatever reason. We have emergency spaces inside if necessary, but not enough for everyone to be comfortable, so only those that need them come in. Some of mine just seem happier outside though, so I won't be rocking that boat.

Ha haaaaa ha ha!! You're so right! I would be doing it purely for myself!! Miss them when I can't spend as much time outdoors in the bleakest weather! Will keep them out! Don't shout at me, I'm easily frightened!

:lol::lol: Yeah this is the same as me.. would love to have them inside but they being outside :roll: Plus my parents would only have them in the house if they're ill, recomended by vet, ect.. :)

:lol::lol: Yeah this is the same as me.. would love to have them inside but they love being outside :roll: Plus my parents would only have them in the house if they're ill, recomended by vet, ect.. :)

I used to do it,now, it's just out all year round, except my snuffles bun. I'm contemplating a bunny room indoors though because this weather is not particulary great even in summer lol :)

Back