• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dock Leaves

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Very quick question - are dock leaves ok to be eaten by buns?

I have loads in my garden and the bunnies seem really drawn to them.

Thanks.

I think as long as not in flower they are ok but this is more in terms of won't harm them if eaten. Generally I think Docks are not a great feed source, but not harmfull if eaten by mistake.... i'll check my book! :wave:

Thank you :wave: Twinkle always manages to sneak a nibble before I can get to her in time!! :roll: So I am pleased at least that they are not harmful!

I really need to weed my garden :oops:

Okay my book says Dock including sorrel dock, common dock and curl dock are useful during early spring when leaves are young and fresh, but when stem seeds have appeared and seeds become ripe they are best avoided. Stem seeds should always be avoided as dock seeds contain binoxalate of potash and are very poisonous! Hope that helps :wave:

Ok probably ok for now and since they have just eaten a mouthful of leaf, but will probably need to get out and do some weeding.

Thank you PrettyLupin!! Always so helpful. x

Back