• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried- Not acting himself

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jims has been acting a bit off for a few hours now, he is scrabbling at the bottom of his hay box then just sitting there staring in to space, I really do not know whether to take him to the vet or not tomorrow?

is he tummy pressing? he may have gas and might need the vets tonight if he heads into stasis. have you tried gripe water and making him run about yet? and metacam if your vet ok's it?

He does not seem to be tummy pressing, just not himself. :?
He is in his potty now so hopefully he will be able to relieve himself, I will try to trick him in to having some Infacol but as can not syringe him will have to try and get him to eat him with some leaves but normally he susses it out :roll:

I'd get that tooth check bought forward. One of my Dental Buns 'scrabbles' when he needs a Dental. He also throws his hay about as if he's cross with it.

Sorry to drone on about 'teeth' again :)

I think you are right Jane, I am going to call the vets tomorrow and see when they can get him in for a dental check.
He has also been throwing his hay around, which he does not normally do.
Have just managed to get a little bit of infacol in to him so hopefully that may help.

good luck tomorrow. hope if its his teeth he feels better after having them done :love::love:

Jane you never drone hun :wave::wave::wave:

I ust dropped the following letter in to the vets for them to open on Monday morning hopefully before I call them,

'We just wanted to let you know as soon as we could and thought that you may read this before we are able to call in the morning.

Jimby is not acting himself, has not been ‘quite right’ since Sunday, he is grinding his teeth and it is not when he is being petted, scrabbling in his hay box, throwing his hay around and seems to be eating and pooping slightly less than usual, he is also looking quite sorry for himself- some of these ‘signs’ have been going on since Saturday and this is all behaviour which is out of the norm for Jimby.

We think it may be due to his teeth as it has now been 5 weeks since his last dental, we understand that it is short notice but we would greatly appreciate it if you would be able to fit him in today for a possible dental, we would like to catch this before he really heads in to statis as he usually does, which we are sure you can understand.
We do not want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary as, as you are well aware Jimby does go downhill very quickly and if we can spare him any of that obviously that would be better for him.

I will call at around 8.10am Monday morning, or if you do read this before hand and have a free minute to call, my mobile number is bl bla bla.

Once again we are sorry to be a pain but we do worry about Jimby as you know and just want the best for him.'

My husband thinks I am nuts and worrying over nothing but he does not have the 'bond' that I do with Jims I can sense when he is not himself.

Last edited:
I ust dropped the following letter in to the vets for them to open on Monday morning hopefully before I call them,

'We just wanted to let you know as soon as we could and thought that you may read this before we are able to call in the morning.

Jimby is not acting himself, has not been ‘quite right’ since Sunday, he is grinding his teeth and it is not when he is being petted, scrabbling in his hay box, throwing his hay around and seems to be eating and pooping slightly less than usual, he is also looking quite sorry for himself- some of these ‘signs’ have been going on since Saturday and this is all behaviour which is out of the norm for Jimby.

We think it may be due to his teeth as it has now been 5 weeks since his last dental, we understand that it is short notice but we would greatly appreciate it if you would be able to fit him in today for a possible dental, we would like to catch this before he really heads in to statis as he usually does, which we are sure you can understand.
We do not want to wait any longer than absolutely necessary as, as you are well aware Jimby does go downhill very quickly and if we can spare him any of that obviously that would be better for him.

I will call at around 8.10am Monday morning, or if you do read this before hand and have a free minute to call, my mobile number is ***************

Once again we are sorry to be a pain but we do worry about Jimby as you know and just want the best for him.'

My husband thinks I am nuts and worrying over nothing but he does not have the 'bond' that I do with Jims I can sense when he is not himself.

I would delete your mobile number from the post on here :)

Last edited:
sorry it made me chuckle with the number thing. :lol:
good luck with the vets i am sure you'll hear from them. :)

:lol: Think we both had a bit of a seniour moment Jane :lol:

I do hope the vets call in the morning, I know they are always very p**sed off with me because I call ALL the time!! and annoy them I think they all scream when they see me coming, but I worry about Jims so much, he is my baby, my world and I wouldnt be able to go on without him. :cry:

True :oops:
Jane do you think it would be ok to wait until Tuesday, I have a prior engagment tomorrow between the hours of 9.45-1pm so unless they can work around that it would be tuesday, obviously if he appears unwell tomorrow I will take him no matter what and cancel my plans- he comes first but if it can wait until tuesday that would be better.

True :oops:
Jane do you think it would be ok to wait until Tuesday, I have a prior engagment tomorrow between the hours of 9.45-1pm so unless they can work around that it would be tuesday, obviously if he appears unwell tomorrow I will take him no matter what and cancel my plans- he comes first but if it can wait until tuesday that would be better.

Could the Vet see him this afternoon ?

My only concern about leaving it til tomorrow is that Jims goes downhill rapidly with regards to his gut motility. *If* it is his teeth it'd be better to sort them out before his tum slows down.

You know him best and I am sure you will do what is right for him.

Jims seems more himself this morning, Just called the vets, they said the only way they would be able to have a look today would be if I take him in and they admitt him for the day as they are fully booked.
She said that he would find that very stressful so if he is brighter in himself it is probably best to avoid any more stress than needed. She wants me to call again this afternoon and let them know how he is doing then maybe get him in tomorrow, she said that his teeth were not bad last time and it has only been 5 weeks so if he is perking up she would see how he goes.

Does that sound good?

Update: Jims has perked up, he has done some nice poops whilst I was out between 9.30-2pm and he has eaten he lunch well, had a couple of treats and seems quite happy. He does however have what looks like a little bit of dribble under his chin. I called the vets to give them an update as requested, they have said to keep a close eye on him to spot any changes, keep an eye on the dribbling and to call them again in the morning to give them an update. They have said that as long as he is happy, eating and pooping then not to worry too much but just to keep a close eye on him and see how he goes.
Problem is I really want to catch this before the statis sets in as it is almost certain too do, the nurse said that bringing him in will only cause him stress and there for could cause more issues so only to do so when need be.

Back