• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur and worming

beckie20

Mama Doe
Hi,

Do any of you use Panacur just for the worming aspect, rather than the treatment of EC?

My 2 have never been wormed before and came from a petshop so I'm guessing I should do them at least this once? They're eating fine, good weight and in great health - and I can say this with confidence as they had a check-up at the vets during their myxi jab :D.

Also, do you have any tips on getting them to eat it?! I would bet £1 million that they won't just eat it, and my buns don't like to be held. The vet said to put 1 graduation inside their mouths, and I can tell you right now that they will hate this even more! I'm only just recently getting them to have some interest in me rather than avoiding me, so I'm really reluctant to do anything that will result in us going 10 steps backwards, unless it really is for their own good!

Please excuse my complete lack of knowledge!! :oops:

xxx

I personally never have but I should probably think about.

I've heard people suggesting squishing inbetween the leaves of two herbs or something and making a yummy pancur sandwhich? Maybe try that?

MMM, sounds tasty! Thanks, I'll stop putting it off and give it a go tonight!

On an unrelated note, how's Leo doing now? I followed your thread before, but never had anything constructive to add since it had never happened to me with my buns!

xxx

Yup - I've Panacured just for worms. The only failsafe method I've found is to use the Panacur 10% liquid, inject it into a mini shredded wheat, leave to dry overnight and then feed to bunny the next day!!!!! They won't eat shredded wheat when it's soggy :roll:. Mine LOVE shredded wheat and they only get it if I'm trying to give Panacur.

But other people have had success with Panacur paste, spreading it on a bit of spring greens or cabbage and then rolling it up to form something like a sushi roll.

Good luck!

Hi I find mine will take panacur if I cut a small hole in a piece of carrot or banana (whichever is their fav treat) and squeeze the panacur into it. Hope this works for you.

oh mine spit out stuff so I have to take the bait and pin them down and squirt the paste in i keep saying its for there own good.
As long as you explain and apologise for doing it theyll forgive you becuaes they may not like it but they sure aren't stupid and know your only trying to help!

ive tried the basil leaf sandwich and even the banana trick works for Alvin.

but Holly is not food mad so i can only get her to eat the paste when it is spread on a Fenugreek crunchy.

good luck :wave::wave:

Back