• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

update on Murphy

Tillybunny

Mama Doe
I joined as a new member, last weekend and promised I would give an update on my new rescue rabbit, Murphy. Turns out he is a dental bun, when he went for his myxi jab they discovered spurs on his back teeth, which of course could be cause of his sticky bottom problems, I also noticed he wasn't eating properly, so insisted on a dental check. I thought it was strange his previous owners giving him up after 5/6 years, could this be the reason????? Strictly speaking he still belongs to the sanctuary at the moment and they are going to pay the bill for the removal of the spurs, after that I am not sure what will happen. I really want to help him, but of course I am very worried about his future prognosis. I have never had a rabbit with dental problems and so I am not sure what to expect.

Murphy/fostering

Fostering was mentioned by the sanctuary ,so I may ask if this would be a possibilty, not sure how it would work, but maybe I could help pay some of the cost of future dentals. Murphy is such a sweet bun, I really want to try to give him a good life, but not sure what I am letting myself in for. Does anybody know how fostering works?

Hi, sorry I don't know how it works, but didn't want to read and run.

Aww bless him, poor man, no wonder he didn't want to eat, and it does make you wonder if that's why the original owners didn't want him, probably realised how much it would cost in dental costs.

not sure what I am letting myself in for. Does anybody know how fostering works?

Every foster home / rescue or sanctuary arrangement is different. If you talk to all fosterers even from the same rescue you will find that they all recieve different things. Some foster homes are provided with accomodation / dried food / hay / vetinary care etc, whilst other foster homes are given something different.

You will need to talk to the rescue / sanctuary concerned and come to an arangement. Some fosterers are happy to provide everything others want certain items of support, it is up to the rescue / sanctuary to descide with you what they are happy to offer.

Thank you, I will be speaking to the sanctuary tomorrow regarding his dental, which I am hoping will be done this week sometime, so I will ask them about their own particular fostering arrangements. I am happy to pay all costs regarding Murphy's care apart from the dentals; which I could pay towards if they would meet me half way. I am sure he would be a lot happier living with me and having plenty of care,attention and access to large run ( he is dashing round and doing lots of binkies in the run as I speak, bless him) than being back at the sanctuary, so I hope they are willing to help me out on this one. He is the second bunny I have had from them; if I can get him sorted I am hoping to bond him with Tilly my other recue bun. Just out out of interest, thought I would mention, he has a BRC ring on his leg, so may have been shown at some time.

Back