• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I almost burst into tears..

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
just been to pets at home :?

Charlie needs a girly ASAP, poor lad is having trouble with the rest of my guys are picking on him, cos he hasn't got a frily of his own :(

as I am in hartlepool and the RSPCA is currently running a free rabbit neutering service, I have been looking.

I went into pets at home :( there are three available tomorrow. Two were dumped on them on Friday, and one was brought in is aggressive, and has been used as grey hound bait :cry::cry: when she said that I almost burst into tears, and they were definately there.

I am tempted to get 2, have one to bond with Charlie and work with the other one to build up its trust in humans.

What do I do!!!

I will be there at 9 in the morning, to pick at least one up, then spend tomorrow getting their neuterings sorted, but completely not sure what to do for the best.

I wouldn't personally as you are in a difficult situation with the move and not so long ago you didn't really have the money for treatment. Could you afford another bunny? If so I would be inclined to get from a rescue which would be myxi jabbed and neutered.

:( poor you what a predicament. I don't know what other people think but I maybe wouldnt get them neutered right away, I got my bun Cass neutered the day after I got him and he reacted really badly to it and went off his food for 3 days. you could foster the other one and find him a better home than P@H could?

Is it fare to expect the RSPCA to fund the neutering of a Rabbit that as yet you dont have :?
Surely the offer is for folk who already have a Rabbit, not someone who deliberately takes on another one :?

How bad a time is Charlie having? They havent been bonded as a group for very long it will take them a while to settle down. With any group there will always be one who is bottom of the pecking order

Is it fare to expect the RSPCA to fund the neutering of a Rabbit that as yet you dont have :?
Surely the offer is for folk who already have a Rabbit, not someone who deliberately takes on another one :?

I hear where your coming from, but I think thats a bit harsh. I think it would be better, IF louise can, and If she can foster to take the bun to the RSPCA get her neutured and rehome like someone says to a better home than P@H could find.

I'm going to have to get daisy done soon, and looking at £50, if my RSPCA where offering free neturing I'd jump at the chance!!

yeah I see what you mean. I wonder how many average rabbit owners take advantage of this offer or are even aware it exists though...

I hear where your coming from, but I think thats a bit harsh. I think it would be better, IF louise can, and If she can foster to take the bun to the RSPCA get her neutured and rehome like someone says to a better home than P@H could find.

I'm going to have to get daisy done soon, and looking at £50, if my RSPCA where offering free neturing I'd jump at the chance!!

But the RSPCA are a Charity. Looking at it like that means we could all pop out to P@H, get a Rabbit and then expect the RSPCA offer to fund the neutering. I'm sorry, but I think that's taking the wee wee to say the very least !!

But the RSPCA are a Charity. Looking at it like that means we could all pop out to P@H, get a Rabbit and then expect the RSPCA offer to fund the neutering. I'm sorry, but I think that's taking the wee wee to say the very least !!

Sorry but I agree with Jane - the offer is probably aimed at those on benefits who couldnt afford to get their rabbit neutered or those who would otherwise possibly breed their pet. That said should anyone be getting a pet if they cant afford vets bills (not aimed at you louise just a comment at the rspca offer)

but I wouldnt say Louise is an average bunny owner taking the weewee!

She has 5 already and is looking for a 6th to complete the bond. If she adopts one from a rescue itd be the same difference, if she adopts from P@H then gets a free spay she could use that money saved for the bunnys or helping rescues. She already does alot for rescues.

So whose it there fore? Cos technically it would be the same for anyone? Anyone taking advatntage of the offer is taking advantage of a charity!

I get really annoyed at chavs claiming vets bills of the PDSA! I pay for everything for my animals, if someone offered me a freebie i'd take it. It'd help! Frustrates me that I'm a hardworking person yet get no benefits and so get nothing! Its like the argument of people who cant be bothered to work and claim benefits, while I pay tax! And then they get an animal knowing someone else wil pay the vets bills!

As a txpayer! and someone who supports various animal charities, I'd rather someone like louise a genuine owener, a genuine animal supporter who could be rescuing a bun or two, and even rehoming one , take advantage of the offer than some chav who gets a cheap bun, gets a free spay and then keeps it in a cheap small hutch!

That said should anyone be getting a pet if they cant afford vets bills (not aimed at you louise just a comment at the rspca offer)

thats my argument!

I dont earn loads, but I can afford the vets bills for my animals, however is someone offered free treatment or anything for them, id be annoyed if I was exempt because i actually work, and actually work for my animals! That just sends the message that anyone can get an animal and someone else will pay! Meanwhile people like me and louise....we have to pay for our own....and technically theirs too!

I earn less than people on benefits but can't claim from PDSA because I refuse to be a sponge, and like I said before how many chavs will even know the RSPCA does stuff like this?

However, I do know what you mean though, the RSPCA are pretty tight for money and staff as it is, I would feel bad taking advantage of this personally and would prefer to use my own vet for neutering/spaying. But Louise, if you're struggling for the money for it, then I think you're just as entitled to chavs on benefits.

I know not all people on benefits are like this, but it does annoy me when they have their Sky, PS3s, Xboxes, booze etc (none of which I can afford) and then complain that they can't afford to take care of their animals or kids. Surely you should either budget to afford them, or not have children or buy animals in the first place!! Sorry to rant, this isnt aimed at you anybody on here:)

Sorry but I agree with Jane - the offer is probably aimed at those on benefits who couldnt afford to get their rabbit neutered or those who would otherwise possibly breed their pet. That said should anyone be getting a pet if they cant afford vets bills (not aimed at you louise just a comment at the rspca offer)

I too agree with Jane :?

I can see where Louise is coming from, rehoming another bun in need for Charlie etc, but if your thinking of getting free neutering before you even take the bunny on, what happens if something bad happens to the bunny and you have to pay out constantly? Scamp has been to the vets everyday for the last 5 days, and has cost me alot more than what neutering a bun would!! I dont think its right to take on a bun and expect the RSPCA to pay for neutering :(

Also, another point. A rescue bun would cost £40. A P@H bun would cost the donation fee, then you'd have to pay to vaccinate it, plus neutering. Even if you get the neutering free you will still have the other costs.

Louise didnt go in P@H 'looking' for a bun, she found these that needed TLC
She could take one there, and whilset she is in Hartlepool get her spayed leaveing the others to go to potential bad homes. The fact that Louise is in Hartlepool and she saw a bun that needed a home, she thought she could her neutured FOC! Rather than take her to a vets and pay! Simply because its there! Not deliberately go into P@H BUY a bun then get it done free, or go looking for a bun at P@H knowing she could get it done free. Louise could afford the spay, but why should she pay whilst others dont.

Alternatively the bun could be taken to a rescue to be rtehomed, the recsue could pay the £50 for a spay, and louise could give them a small donation of £30???

It doenst make sense to me.

What and WHo is the offer there for??

i can see both sides of the arguement and yes people who work ALWAYS get the raw end,,,,,,,but some people get them from rescues as then they would already of been speyed and had vacs....so is this not the same?
i wouldnt get a unspeyed rabbit now as i found it really stressfull after.

if people looked into getting a new rabbit then surely some people who did there maths would realise that a rescue bun costs less than a pet shop bun. as a rescue bun would of had all thats nessersary. (if this makes sence)
so is this not the same?

She could take one there, and whilset she is in Hartlepool get her spayed leaveing the others to go to potential bad homes. The fact that Louise is in Hartlepool and she saw a bun that needed a home, she thought she could her neutured FOC! Rather than take her to a vets and pay! Simply because its there! Not deliberately go into P@H BUY a bun then get it done free, or go looking for a bun at P@H knowing she could get it done free. Louise could afford the spay, but why should she pay whilst others dont.

Alternatively the bun could be taken to a rescue to be rtehomed, the recsue could pay the £50 for a spay, and louise could give them a small donation of £30???

It doenst make sense to me.

What and WHo is the offer there for??

Yeah I always worry the rescue buns in P@H won't go to good homes like they would in a rescue centre, when I got Cass from their adoption centre the questions were very minimal. I can't imagine the RSPCA being overrun with free neuters..... and i don't agree with charities exclusively helping those on benefits, surely they're getting enough help :? so many people pay their taxes and never gain any benefit, so might as well, and then spend £50 more on bunny accommodation or put it aside for vet bills.

Just been to pets at home

As I am in hartlepool and the RSPCA is currently running a free rabbit neutering service, I have been looking.

I went into pets at home :( there are three available tomorrow.

:?

Personally I would wait. In any group bonding, it takes a lot longer for the whole bond to settle.

You aren't currently stable in housing and are going through a difficult time of your own.

I think you should wait until you yourself are settled and no how things stand, before getting anymore animals.

i can see both sides of the arguement and yes people who work ALWAYS get the raw end,,,,,,,but some people get them from rescues as then they would already of been speyed and had vacs....so is this not the same?
i wouldnt get a unspeyed rabbit now as i found it really stressfull after.

if people looked into getting a new rabbit then surely some people who did there maths would realise that a rescue bun costs less than a pet shop bun. as a rescue bun would of had all thats nessersary. (if this makes sence)
so is this not the same?

thats what I think! That and louise has the chance to save some bun or two from another bad home....surely that can only be good!

Its like the bun I rescued yesterday! only 12 weeks old and already unwanted. Kept ina tiny box. Should I have left her on the basis that she's not from a rescue. SHould I have left her to be sold onto someone else with that box, a lifetime of misery and pain, and then after a few weeks, months years, either eventually thrust upon a recsue to pay for, or worse! Surely by me taking the bun, paying for the vaccs and spay, thats saving the rescue making a loss? And yes, if the RSPCA were offering a free spay or nything free here i'd jump at it!

Back