• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is he overweight?

skgreene

Warren Scout
How much should a standard male rex (approx 11mths old) weight as the vet said harry was a bit chubby yesterday (OH took him but didnt ask what he should weigh :roll:) and could do with lossing some weight he weighs 2.05kg atm

anybody? he weighs 2.05kg but all the information on rex say he should weigh 3.1kg so im confused :?

I'm not an expert, but from my experience a vet's reluctant to tell you even when your bun is overweight, so he probably could do with losing a couple of bunny ponds! :lol: Have you any bigger piccies? It'd be easier to tell from them. What do you feed him and how much exercise does he get? Those are the 2 crucial points, like with humans.

hes freerange bun and goes out 2-3times in the garden for 40mins but he doesnt do much :roll: he was having 20g of wagg but im changing him excel adult light and only tbsp about 12g ish lots of hay and handful of veg, no i dnt as camera broken

sorry to go off course hws gulliver? (sp.)

Last edited:
hes freerange bun and goes out 2-3times in the garden for 40mins but he doesnt do much :roll: he was having 20g of wagg but im changing him excel adult light and only tbsp about 12g ish lots of hay and handful of veg, no i dnt as camera broken

sorry to go off course hws gulliver? (sp.)

Doesn't sound like he'd be overweight to me! :? I've come to the conclusion though that vets know :censored: all about rabbits! :lol: If he's happy and active I don't think you need to worry.

Thanks for asking about Gullie! I'm jumping every time the blimmin' phone goes, but I still haven't heard. :(

ok thanks ill trust myself i do think he could loss a couple grams but not 300-500g she said maybe 50g. Well hope you hear something soonm thanks

Is your vet good with rabbits? If not, I wonder if they thought he was fat as he's a rex - rexes tend to have all their folds and wobbly bits more visible than a regular furred bunny! :lol:

I went for those free Rabbit Awareness Week health checks at the vet and the nurse explained to me that a bunny of a healthy weight should have the following characteristics....
- Hip bones, ribs and spine easily felt but are rounded, not sharp (Ribs feel like a pocket full of pens apparently!).
- No abdominal buldge.
- Rump area is flat.

:wave:

Back