• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No to carrot tops?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
I always treat my girls to carrots with the green tops on whewn I see them.

Apparently they are a NONO though as because humans dont eat them - the farmers put what ever fertilisers and chemicals they want on them!

Glad I am growing my own!

because fertilisers and chemicals know not to enter the carrot itself do they???
:?

sorry whatever put on the plant does enter into the main plant ok not in huge doses but its still there

i just make sure i really wash mine before feeding, though at this time of year the ones i get are covered in sand as they have been in storage, blimin nightmare to wash off

But overall it is better to grow your own anyway :D

That's always concerned me, so I never feed them to my bunnies. I've heard you're supposed to chop the top half inch off carrots because the chemicals seep down into the carrot itself, so god knows how much is absorbed into the green leaves.

I reckon growing your own or buying organic is the best way to go.

Either way, carrot tops are very high in calcium so should only be fed as an occasional treat rather than regularly :)

Back