• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

There's a baby wildie in my fully fenced garden! U/D - just about had a heartattack!

georgie_f

Mama Doe
Mum said she'd seen a rat go under my new playhouse last night so this morning, we were quite relieved but also very surprised to find a baby wildie under there!

I don't know how it got in, the garden is fully fenced except for a long, narrow path down the side of the house but bunny would have had to walk all the way up the lane and the drive, down a steep flight of steps and right past the back door if it came in that way. :shock:

I'm not sure what to do. It's on it's own. I think perhaps one of the neighbours cats must of caught it and dropped it in our garden on route back home or something. Should I catch it and put it in a field (or even in a hutch!?)? I don't mind it being in the garden but I don't want it passing anything onto my buns. I only spotted it on the lawn because Jess went and sniffed it!

He's so small!

Last edited:
Is there any way you could block off access under the shed? Hopefully if there is nowhere for it to hide, it'll go back out the same way it came in.

If it doesn't run away from you, I'd say it's probably injured and will need vet treatment.

Mum said she'd seen a rat go under my new playhouse last night so this morning, we were quite relieved but also very surprised to find a baby wildie under there!

I don't know how it got in, the garden is fully fenced except for a long, narrow path down the side of the house but bunny would have had to walk all the way up the lane and the drive, down a steep flight of steps and right past the back door if it came in that way. :shock:

I'm not sure what to do. It's on it's own. I think perhaps one of the neighbours cats must of caught it and dropped it in our garden on route back home or something. Should I catch it and put it in a field (or even in a hutch!?)? I don't mind it being in the garden but I don't want it passing anything onto my buns. I only spotted it on the lawn because Jess went and sniffed it!

Are you certain there're no gaps, however small, he could have squeezed through? It's possible he was dropped by a cat but it seems unlikely if he's grazing - surely he'd be too traumatized?

It runs away from me - I had the zoom on my camera all the way up for that photo! :lol: It's just hiding under the playhouse now. Occasionally I see a nose pop out but then it spots me and darts back under. It doesn't seem injured that I can see. There aren't any gaps under the fence that are big enough for it to have got through. There are a few little mouse tunnels here and there but they're tiny. Plus all the neighbouring gardens are well fenced too. :?

I'll see if I can get it out from under the playhouse and block it all up. If it's still in the garden by the time it's getting dark, should I unblock it so it has somewhere safe to hide overnight?

I'll see if I can get it out from under the playhouse and block it all up. If it's still in the garden by the time it's getting dark, should I unblock it so it has somewhere safe to hide overnight?

Yep, good idea. TBH if you block up access under the playhouse and it doesn't leave pretty quickly, I'd say it probably doesn't know how to get out.

I can't get it out from under the playhouse! It would seem I need to grow an extra eight pairs of arms. :shock::lol: I start work at 1pm so I'm going to have to leave it there I think. :?

I've popped a big pile of hay and some grass just under the playhouse for it so it doesn't have to come out if it doesn't want too. :) Hopefully as it gets a bit darker, it'll venture out and go home! It's probably a good thing I didn't manage to catch it as I wouldn't want to let it go again if I did! :roll::lol:

Thanks! :wave:

I've just got in from work so I'll have my dinner and venture out in the rain to have another go at catching the little critter.

Mum has been keeping an eye on it all day. Apparently it's been tearing round the garden, digging up the flower beds, chatting to Brian and Cloud, nibbling mum's tomato plants.... but if Mum goes outside, it legs it back under the playhouse. :roll:

In other news - I've also attracted a stray racing pigeon today! I think my house must be magnetic to lost animals. :lol:

Thanks! :wave:

I've just got in from work so I'll have my dinner and venture out in the rain to have another go at catching the little critter.

Mum has been keeping an eye on it all day. Apparently it's been tearing round the garden, digging up the flower beds, chatting to Brian and Cloud, nibbling mum's tomato plants.... but if Mum goes outside, it legs it back under the playhouse. :roll:

In other news - I've also attracted a stray racing pigeon today! I think my house must be magnetic to lost animals. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
Hope your able to catch the little bun, and get it safely home ;) :love:

I wouldn't block anything or move anything so he can still get out if there is a gap. If he's still there on Monday, is there anyway you can make a hole, so he can get out and come back if he wants to?

I'm sure a cat or something must have caught him and dropped him in the garden.

Uh-oh, I've started refering to it as 'him'... I'm getting attached! :lol: He'll have a name by tomorrow!

I haven't blocked anything up so he can come and go as he pleases. I was hoping I could catch him just to check he definately wasn't injured. He's still outside. I can see him on the lawn in the rain! :roll:

If he's still here in a few days I think I might see about borrowing a humane trap from the RSPCA. I'd love to let him stay in the garden but there are cats, he'd have no company, Mum'd do her nut if he digs up any more of her veggies and there's always the dreaded myxi risk. :shock: There are lots of bunnies on the hill by the sailing club (nice sea views for bunnies! :lol:) so I think I'd try to take him there. :)

He's still under the playhouse this morning :roll: Off to the RSPCA later to see if they'll let me borrow a humane trap. If they won't let me, does anyone have a good suggestion of something else I could use?!

He's still under the playhouse this morning :roll: Off to the RSPCA later to see if they'll let me borrow a humane trap. If they won't let me, does anyone have a good suggestion of something else I could use?!

The RSPCA may ask for a deposit on the trap so go armed with dosh! Good Luck - hope you can put him back with his friends!

Back