PDA

View Full Version : There's a baby wildie in my fully fenced garden! U/D - just about had a heartattack!

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Mum said she'd seen a rat go under my new playhouse last night so this morning, we were quite relieved but also very surprised to find a baby wildie under there!

I don't know how it got in, the garden is fully fenced except for a long, narrow path down the side of the house but bunny would have had to walk all the way up the lane and the drive, down a steep flight of steps and right past the back door if it came in that way. :shock:

I'm not sure what to do. It's on it's own. I think perhaps one of the neighbours cats must of caught it and dropped it in our garden on route back home or something. Should I catch it and put it in a field (or even in a hutch!?)? I don't mind it being in the garden but I don't want it passing anything onto my buns. I only spotted it on the lawn because Jess went and sniffed it!

He's so small!
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/102/img0912u.jpg (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/img0912u.jpg/)

abbymarysmokey
08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Is there any way you could block off access under the shed? Hopefully if there is nowhere for it to hide, it'll go back out the same way it came in.

If it doesn't run away from you, I'd say it's probably injured and will need vet treatment.

Hoppit!
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Mum said she'd seen a rat go under my new playhouse last night so this morning, we were quite relieved but also very surprised to find a baby wildie under there!

I don't know how it got in, the garden is fully fenced except for a long, narrow path down the side of the house but bunny would have had to walk all the way up the lane and the drive, down a steep flight of steps and right past the back door if it came in that way. :shock:

I'm not sure what to do. It's on it's own. I think perhaps one of the neighbours cats must of caught it and dropped it in our garden on route back home or something. Should I catch it and put it in a field (or even in a hutch!?)? I don't mind it being in the garden but I don't want it passing anything onto my buns. I only spotted it on the lawn because Jess went and sniffed it!

Are you certain there're no gaps, however small, he could have squeezed through? It's possible he was dropped by a cat but it seems unlikely if he's grazing - surely he'd be too traumatized?

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
It runs away from me - I had the zoom on my camera all the way up for that photo! :lol: It's just hiding under the playhouse now. Occasionally I see a nose pop out but then it spots me and darts back under. It doesn't seem injured that I can see. There aren't any gaps under the fence that are big enough for it to have got through. There are a few little mouse tunnels here and there but they're tiny. Plus all the neighbouring gardens are well fenced too. :?

I'll see if I can get it out from under the playhouse and block it all up. If it's still in the garden by the time it's getting dark, should I unblock it so it has somewhere safe to hide overnight?

abbymarysmokey
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll see if I can get it out from under the playhouse and block it all up. If it's still in the garden by the time it's getting dark, should I unblock it so it has somewhere safe to hide overnight?

Yep, good idea. TBH if you block up access under the playhouse and it doesn't leave pretty quickly, I'd say it probably doesn't know how to get out.

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I can't get it out from under the playhouse! It would seem I need to grow an extra eight pairs of arms. :shock::lol: I start work at 1pm so I'm going to have to leave it there I think. :?

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm quite convinced it's mocking me....
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3374/img0923h.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/img0923h.jpg/)
:roll:

~ Cat ~
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm quite convinced it's mocking me....
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3374/img0923h.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/img0923h.jpg/)
:roll:

Thats so adorable! :love::love::love::love:

Shellypops
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
:love:

LilVicky
08-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Awww.

Maybe offer it some food to get it out?
Hope it manages to find its way back home x

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I've popped a big pile of hay and some grass just under the playhouse for it so it doesn't have to come out if it doesn't want too. :) Hopefully as it gets a bit darker, it'll venture out and go home! It's probably a good thing I didn't manage to catch it as I wouldn't want to let it go again if I did! :roll::lol:

CinnamonAndNutmeg
08-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Hope you manage to catch it!!

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks! :wave:

I've just got in from work so I'll have my dinner and venture out in the rain to have another go at catching the little critter.

Mum has been keeping an eye on it all day. Apparently it's been tearing round the garden, digging up the flower beds, chatting to Brian and Cloud, nibbling mum's tomato plants.... but if Mum goes outside, it legs it back under the playhouse. :roll:

In other news - I've also attracted a stray racing pigeon today! I think my house must be magnetic to lost animals. :lol:

mini lop1
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
:love: that last piccie

wonder how he got in, in the first place :?

LilVicky
08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks! :wave:

I've just got in from work so I'll have my dinner and venture out in the rain to have another go at catching the little critter.

Mum has been keeping an eye on it all day. Apparently it's been tearing round the garden, digging up the flower beds, chatting to Brian and Cloud, nibbling mum's tomato plants.... but if Mum goes outside, it legs it back under the playhouse. :roll:

In other news - I've also attracted a stray racing pigeon today! I think my house must be magnetic to lost animals. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
Hope your able to catch the little bun, and get it safely home ;) :love:

DemiS
08-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't block anything or move anything so he can still get out if there is a gap. If he's still there on Monday, is there anyway you can make a hole, so he can get out and come back if he wants to?

georgie_f
08-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm sure a cat or something must have caught him and dropped him in the garden.

Uh-oh, I've started refering to it as 'him'... I'm getting attached! :lol: He'll have a name by tomorrow!

I haven't blocked anything up so he can come and go as he pleases. I was hoping I could catch him just to check he definately wasn't injured. He's still outside. I can see him on the lawn in the rain! :roll:

If he's still here in a few days I think I might see about borrowing a humane trap from the RSPCA. I'd love to let him stay in the garden but there are cats, he'd have no company, Mum'd do her nut if he digs up any more of her veggies and there's always the dreaded myxi risk. :shock: There are lots of bunnies on the hill by the sailing club (nice sea views for bunnies! :lol:) so I think I'd try to take him there. :)

Suzanne
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
He's so cute :love: Hope you manage to catch him and put him with some new friends.

georgie_f
09-05-2010, 08:29 AM
He's still under the playhouse this morning :roll: Off to the RSPCA later to see if they'll let me borrow a humane trap. If they won't let me, does anyone have a good suggestion of something else I could use?!

~ Cat ~
09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
He's still under the playhouse this morning :roll: Off to the RSPCA later to see if they'll let me borrow a humane trap. If they won't let me, does anyone have a good suggestion of something else I could use?!

The RSPCA may ask for a deposit on the trap so go armed with dosh! Good Luck - hope you can put him back with his friends!

ecudc
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
that last photo :)

georgie_f
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Riiight, I've been to the RSPCA to ask for a humane trap. Apparently they don't have any and if they did have any, the lady said she would just tell me to leave him where he is. :roll: On the plus side, I did convince them to give me a neutering voucher for Cloud.

So, looks like I'll be having a house guest for the foreseeable future as the poor little thing really doesn't seem to know how to get back out. (I think I'm secretly pleased he gets to stay though! :lol::love:).

youthnovels
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Absolutely adorable :love:

Let us know what happens with this one. And I demand more pictures!

georgie_f
09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Absolutely adorable :love:

Let us know what happens with this one. And I demand more pictures!

Of course! ;):lol:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6152/009ity.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/009ity.jpg/)

I'm just off down the playhouse to stick some lino in - I shall keep my camera in my pocket at all times! :lol::wave:

Rox
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Thats so adorable! :love::love::love::love:

Fair play, it's beautiful! xx

Ambience
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Awwww how adorable!

Cornishlass
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
:lol: I say Lucky you! He's adorable! :lol:

georgie_f
14-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I think I'm getting a bit too attached! I've started thinking of names... :lol:

He's still here. :love:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9510/060yn.jpg (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/060yn.jpg/)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4793/068fx.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/068fx.jpg/)

And Brian, letting me know the wildie was in the garden again! :lol:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4258/058zm.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/i/058zm.jpg/)

The little wildie doesn't seem to bothered by me now. He won't let me get close but if I sit down quietly, he will hop out of his hiding place and start grazing. :)

Blackberry & Co
14-05-2010, 12:16 PM
He is gorgeous! Definitely needs a name.......

Grin
14-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Awww - sooo cute!! :lol:

Angie65
14-05-2010, 12:39 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are in same boat as me - I have an injured pigeon in my garden & a baby wildie - although she was found elsewhere, nursed back to health & brought over intentionally!

Rue
14-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Awww :love::love::love: He is cuuute! And how special, that he's decided it's safe to come out and graze when you're there. I'm jealous!

georgie_f
14-05-2010, 08:59 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are in same boat as me - I have an injured pigeon in my garden & a baby wildie - although she was found elsewhere, nursed back to health & brought over intentionally!

Oh, how strange! Must just be that stray/lost animals time of year! :lol: Luckily, both my guests seem to be 100% healthy. :love:

Tillybunny
14-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh how gorgeous!!!!:love: He has gone to top of my worry list, stay safe little one.

georgie_f
14-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Bless you! He's almost top of my worry list too! (Only second to Cloud, who's recovering from speying).

I think he's quite safe in my garden. I guess a lone baby bunny would be an easy target so to have been here nearly a week must be quite good going! He has lots of places to hide too - under the playhouse and under both my hutches as well as tunneling through the compost heap! :lol:

I think the only worry I really have is the neighbourhood cats but they don't seem to have ventured into my garden for a few weeks. :D

Jemma&Theo
14-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Bless you! He's almost top of my worry list too! (Only second to Cloud, who's recovering from speying).

I think he's quite safe in my garden. I guess a lone baby bunny would be an easy target so to have been here nearly a week must be quite good going! He has lots of places to hide too - under the playhouse and under both my hutches as well as tunneling through the compost heap! :lol:

I think the only worry I really have is the neighbourhood cats but they don't seem to have ventured into my garden for a few weeks. :D

Awww, hope he stays forever and ever.............. :D keep feeding him!!! Oooh and buy him a little nest box........

SQQUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:love::love::love:

areia
14-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I love the piccies you've managed to take :love: all im saying never underestimate the size of a hole, the 7 babies i had got through the teeeeeeeeniest of holes hoodini would of been proud of i tell you, you see a mouse size hole he could of gotton in that way,

If a cat had gotton him it would have matted patches on fur and show some sign, the fact hes grown in confidence already hes there on his own accord

Tillybunny
23-05-2010, 02:07 PM
whats the latest news on your wildie?? do hope he is ok.

georgie_f
23-05-2010, 04:36 PM
He's fine! :D My friend came over for lunch and we've been sat in the garden all afternoon, scoffing sandwichs and watching him sneak around in the flower beds. He seems to have got a bit bigger too.

And I may have named him Rocket. :oops:

youthnovels
23-05-2010, 06:33 PM
He's fine! :D My friend came over for lunch and we've been sat in the garden all afternoon, scoffing sandwichs and watching him sneak around in the flower beds. He seems to have got a bit bigger too.

And I may have named him Rocket. :oops:

:no: Not getting attached are we? :lol:

Becca
23-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Awwww:love::love::love:

Tillybunny
23-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww:D obviously no need for me to worry, he's in good hands. Rockets a great name by the way:) Thanks for answering my query.

georgie_f
23-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Me? Attached? *Mock shock face* :o Never! :lol: Ok, maybe a little bit! :love:

Thank you for asking about him - it's always nice when someone remembers these daft little things. :wave:

I'll have to work on some new photos now won't I?? ;)

mini lop1
23-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Me? Attached? *Mock shock face* :o Never! :lol: Ok, maybe a little bit! :love:

Thank you for asking about him - it's always nice when someone remembers these daft little things. :wave:

I'll have to work on some new photos now won't I?? ;)

i was thinking about him to :love::love::love:

georgie_f
01-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Little Rocket bunny is still here!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs505.ash1/29860_447265208573_709523573_5966880_4944169_n.jpg

And my one stray pigeon has become two!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs545.snc3/29860_447266778573_709523573_5966885_5656995_n.jpg

:love:

I'm starting to think my house must be like the Bermuda Triangle for lost animals. :lol:

Tuckerbunnies
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
What a gorgeous wildie bun :love:

georgie_f
01-06-2010, 12:36 AM
What a gorgeous wildie bun :love:

He is very sweet! I thought he'd gone actually as I hadn't seen him for a few days. I let Brian out to free range and the next thing I knew, wildie bun was following Brain round the garden like a little shadow! :shock: I was quite relieved to see he was ok though. :love:

Tuckerbunnies
01-06-2010, 12:43 AM
He is very sweet! I thought he'd gone actually as I hadn't seen him for a few days. I let Brian out to free range and the next thing I knew, wildie bun was following Brain round the garden like a little shadow! :shock: I was quite relieved to see he was ok though. :love:

We had a baby one in our garden this morning and we think he has a burrow under the decking as he seem's to appear from under there. He is a tiny little thing but when the rooks and crows are flying about he dart's back under the decking Bless him.:)

georgie_f
01-06-2010, 12:50 AM
We had a baby one in our garden this morning and we think he has a burrow under the decking as he seem's to appear from under there. He is a tiny little thing but when the rooks and crows are flying about he dart's back under the decking Bless him.:)

I saw your thread about him earlier! :love: There's just something extra special about baby wildies.

I'm not sure how mine got in. I still haven't found a hole big enough for him to have got through. :? :lol: He seems to alter between hiding under the playhouse and under Pharrell and Daphne's hutch. I was worried he didn't have enough cover but he's survived this long so maybe he has a burrow somewhere that I've missed?!

Tuckerbunnies
01-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I saw your thread about him earlier! :love: There's just something extra special about baby wildies.

I'm not sure how mine got in. I still haven't found a hole big enough for him to have got through. :? :lol: He seems to alter between hiding under the playhouse and under Pharrell and Daphne's hutch. I was worried he didn't have enough cover but he's survived this long so maybe he has a burrow somewhere that I've missed?!

He may have a burrow under the playhouse :)

nursecroft
01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
awwwwww sooooooooooo cute!!! :love:

georgie_f
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
He may have a burrow under the playhouse :)

If there is one, it must be very small, the playhouse had only been up for a day when he appeared! I took it as a sign that I must have built it so well that all the wildlife wanted to move in! :lol:

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I just found what I can only describe as a 'rabbit leg bone' on top of Pharrell and Daphne's hutch! :shock::cry:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9423/007tk.jpg (http://img534.imageshack.us/i/007tk.jpg/)

After a mass panic and a quick hunt around the garden, I have found little Rocket bun, with all four legs still attached! The bone is probably a chicken bone that the neighbours cat's theived off a BBQ!

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3397/009eed.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/009eed.jpg/)

*Giant sigh of relief* :roll::lol:

Hoppit!
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Wow, somebunny's grown!! :shock:

Scary about the bone, but you're probably right.

Tuckerbunnies
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Omg when I saw that bone :( so glad I saw the photo of the wild bun after :D

Blackberry & Co
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
:shock::shock::shock:

So glad wildie bun is ok!

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I did just about die when I saw it! I was in the process of lifting a wiggly Daphne out of the hutch and just noticed it right in front of my face at eye level. I nearly dropped Daph and let out a 'eeeeeeeeekkkk!' :roll::lol: I looked round the garden for fluff or other bones and couldn't find any so looked under the playhouse and low and behold, there he was. :love:

There have been loads of BBQ's on the go lately so I'm sure it must just be a chicken bone (I counted all two of my chickens too! :lol:).

He's becoming a cheeky little thing now. He doesn't mind me looking at him and getting close anymore so long as he knows I can't reach him and yesterday, he liberated Pharrell and Daphne from their run by digging them out! :shock: I was at work but mum was in and she said she looked out the window to see the wildie inside the run and Pharrell and Daphne out! :roll::lol:

tdsouza
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
definately sounds like you have a new member of your family :love:

Debster
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
He's becoming a cheeky little thing now. He doesn't mind me looking at him and getting close anymore so long as he knows I can't reach him and yesterday, he liberated Pharrell and Daphne from their run by digging them out! :shock: I was at work but mum was in and she said she looked out the window to see the wildie inside the run and Pharrell and Daphne out! :roll::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I think he wants to be part of your family!

Candiflare
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
PHEW!!!!

Wish you'd adopt him........
:love::love::love:

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Y'know, if I ever do manage to catch him, I don't think I could let him go again. :oops: He does really feel like one of my bunnies now!

I guess he's best left in the wild though... right?!

Candiflare
05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Y'know, if I ever do manage to catch him, I don't think I could let him go again. :oops: He does really feel like one of my bunnies now!

... maybe.... :angel::angel::angel:

If I was in your shoes... I would keep him...

Coineanach
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Want convincing much? ;):lol:

giantbunnymummy
05-06-2010, 07:23 PM
OMG Rocket bun is the most beautiful bunny ever :love::love::love::love:

I'm so glad he's ok and the bone was a false alarm!

I think he wants to be adopted and to live with your bunnies :D

Twinsen_Patrick
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Awh I <3 Rocket bun :love:

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Gah! You guys are a bad influence! :p

I guess if he was officially living here in a hutch or in the playhouse or somewhere, Dad couldn't complain about him eating everything in the vegetable patch. ;):lol: And he does seem to like Brian who's all on his lonesome......

:shock: NOOO! Must.... resist...... bunneh............

giantbunnymummy
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Brian and Rocket, has a nice ring to it ;) :p

antigone
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
He has definitely decided to live with you and he's not going to go away. I don't think you have a choice but to catch him and keep him!:D If he is to live in your property, he needs to be vaccinated, or he'll pose a risk to the rest of your bunnies. Sending him back in the wild, will not be fair on him, as he's already decided where he wants to be!:p

Good luck!:wave:

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I have to admit, I have been thinking since the first time I tried to catch him that maybe I'd get him vaccinated and let him loose in the garden again but I assumed the vet wouldn't agree to that.

If I kept him, wouldn't it be cruel? Wouldn't he get stressed if he was confined? Would he get tame or be a wildie forever?!

I'd love to keep him but I really don't want to catch him and then find he's unhappy. I wouldn't know what to do then. :oops:

antigone
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I have to admit, I have been thinking since the first time I tried to catch him that maybe I'd get him vaccinated and let him loose in the garden again but I assumed the vet wouldn't agree to that.

If I kept him, wouldn't it be cruel? Wouldn't he get stressed if he was confined? Would he get tame or be a wildie forever?!

I'd love to keep him but I really don't want to catch him and then find he's unhappy. I wouldn't know what to do then. :oops:

I really don't know if he'll ever become completely tame. However, some of the bunnies I had in the past, although 'domesticated' didn't want anything to do with me. They were happy, though, with companions of their own kind. I think that Abbymarysmokey will be the best person to pm, as she's keeping a wildie.:D

kaths101
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
awww he is sooo gorgeous and Rocket is a brilliant name :love:

Im not sure about capturing wildies - i would be worried too - he seems quite happy how he is.. I guess theres just the risk of a cat or a fox getting him..
But I would worry he would go stir crazy being locked up but hey I dont know anything just thinking aloud as usual :lol:

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
awww he is sooo gorgeous and Rocket is a brilliant name :love:

Im not sure about capturing wildies - i would be worried too - he seems quite happy how he is.. I guess theres just the risk of a cat or a fox getting him..
But I would worry he would go stir crazy being locked up but hey I dont know anything just thinking aloud as usual :lol:

This is exactly what's going through my head! After finding that bone in the garden today, I think I realised just how attached I'd gotten to him and I absolutely cannot stand the thought of anything happening to him. He doesn't have a borrow to hide in either. But then, if he doesn't get tame at all then I feel keeping him locked up will just be too stressful for him. I also like to let Brian free range but if the wildie was in with him, I don't think I'd be able to as I'd never catch him again if I let him out!

I guess I could try and see what happens?! If he hates it, I'd just have to let him out again. :?:

kaths101
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
This is exactly what's going through my head! After finding that bone in the garden today, I think I realised just how attached I'd gotten to him and I absolutely cannot stand the thought of anything happening to him. He doesn't have a borrow to hide in either. But then, if he doesn't get tame at all then I feel keeping him locked up will just be too stressful for him. I also like to let Brian free range but if the wildie was in with him, I don't think I'd be able to as I'd never catch him again if I let him out!

I guess I could try and see what happens?! If he hates it, I'd just have to let him out again. :?:

yeah I suppose the only problem with that is if he gets a bit tame and then you let him free again and then he cant survive in the wild ....
Difficult one!!

georgie_f
05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
yeah I suppose the only problem with that is if he gets a bit tame and then you let him free again and then he cant survive in the wild ....
Difficult one!!

Mmmmm. Hadn't thought of this. If he got a little tame, I guess he'd be ok to keep. If he doesn't get tame at all, I think that's when I'd let him back out. And if I do let him out, I assume he'd stay in the garden so he's only kind of in the 'half wild' (:oops:) and he'd have me and my Mum looking out for him as much as possible.

Azraelm
06-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I think I would leave him as he is :wave:

Surely he is not a myxi danger to yours because he clearly doesn't have it himself, yours are vaccinated and none of them are coming into contact with any bunns that do have myxi.

I don't think it would be right to capture him and confine him to a hutch, but sure he'd appreciate some food.

fluffiebunnie
06-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Surely he is not a myxi danger to yours because he clearly doesn't have it himself, yours are vaccinated and none of them are coming into contact with any bunns that do have myxi.

I don't think it would be right to capture him and confine him to a hutch, but sure he'd appreciate some food.

Agree with Mandy... he is half yours anyway as it is... he will make a home/burrow somewhere, especially if there is food always available :D

Angie65
06-06-2010, 08:51 AM

This^^^ I was actually horrified at the the thought of someone imprisoning a wild animal! I have a wildie bun here (found injured & hand reared) & I still struggle to think she's got "what's best for her" even though I can see that releasing her wouldn't work as she was handreared from 3weeks

Hoppit!
06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't catch him. He's happy as he is, so just leave him to it. Just make sure your guys are wormed regually, and vaccinated too obviously. I just think being confined to captivity would be incredibily stressful for him, as he has a wildie's instincts.

He is a cutie-pie though, so I know where you're coming from. We had a semi-wildie here, Bobby, who was the dudishest rabbit. He was only round for a couple of years, and while it was heartbreaking to know that nature caught up with him, I think it's far better for a wild animal to live the life they were destined to, even if it's a short one.

bunlover
06-06-2010, 11:56 AM
This^^^ I was actually horrified at the the thought of someone imprisoning a wild animal! I have a wildie bun here (found injured & hand reared) & I still struggle to think she's got "what's best for her" even though I can see that releasing her wouldn't work as she was handreared from 3weeks

i agree i also have a wildie she is fostering with me until neutered, she was found in a garden and unfortunatly is very very tame, i feel bad whenever i have her in the run and hutch but she cannot be released(much to my distress) due to her tameness she runs to me and iis picked up instantly. its a difficult one if you can leave bu n wild or release somewhere near by then its probebly bests. x

georgie_f
06-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I honestly don't think I'd be able to catch him anyway, he's so quick! I've actually been in the garden this morning with a little spade, starting to dig some holes in hidden spots, hoping he'll like one of them and choose to dig it a bit furthur. :)

My buns are all up to date on their vaccs so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue, and as Mandy says, the wildie isn't likely to come into contact with any infected bunnies himself as he just doesn't leave the garden! The daft thing! :lol:

yvette
06-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Hiya!!!:wave::wave:
My thoughts are yours are vacced, so hopefully no problem.
Rocket is a wonderful name...he lives up to it too!!!!:love::love:
Give him a bit of food, ensure he has his hiding place..(under the shed), hes safe, he likes the idea or he would have got out by now trust me!!.....and he will get used to you being around.
Share him with nature.:D:D
Keep an eye.If he gets poorly, catch him then and give him treatment if you want to and if you feel he can withstand the pace.xxx

georgie_f
06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I think that's what I will do :) I'm still in two minds about catching him, getting him vacc'd and then releasing him again but I don't know if that's a bit unnessecary really.

Umm, what sort of food should I leave out for him? I have been popping little bundles of hay under the playhouse for him and the lawn is nice and green at the moment. Will he know/learn to eat pellets?

yvette
06-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Dunno bout pellets but veg and herbs and hay!!!!
Just trial and error.xxxx