• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Signs of good hay?

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
What are the signs of really good hay?

Ours has long bits, it's mainly a light brown with some greener bits. Some bits are quite thick. And the buns go crazy for the stuff. I get the bag down and their heads are instantly in the bag, they can't wait for me to put it in their litter trays, they help themselves!

I would have to say smell. I got some hay from a farm and it was horrible - yellow - dried out and had no smell.

I got some from The Range yesterday and it stunk the car out - £3.99 for a HUGE bag.

Mine seem to like the thicker stuff - with green bits in it but I would have to say if it smells good for the buns - they will eat it.

Last edited:
smell, I had some that was brown and smelled of aniseed and it gave my piggies mites :cry: and colour too, the greener the better I think :)

See it used to smell, I dunno if I've got sensitised to it or what. *will go sniff the bale later* :oops:

:lol:I love the smell of hay, and of bunnies that have just buried themselves in hay :love: so sad I know! think no smell is better than a bad smell... and yellow is better than brown. I get Burgess Excel hay and sometimes its yellow and green, sometimes just green :) Alfa King hay is lush as well, thats entirely green but my buns dont seem to like it that much :roll:

deffinatly smell, hay bales that are fresh have soft greeny long stalks brown bits are fine, just not brittle and stale looking

where its stored changes its look too, in a bag in sunlight causes it to go damp and mouldy and black, to dry hot and in direct sunlight is like cooking it, it goes dusty brittle and looses scent,

Pets at home hay is a good example of naff hay, short dusty brittle sticks, ( though they do advertise its dust free, its not when its that dry,)

though often short stems are better for those with mobility problems as it doesnt get wrapped round their legs

Back