• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've had to make a really hard decision

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
And it breaks my heart...but I think it's the only option really.

I've just moved house, and before I'd finished cleaning the carpets and moving everything out the Landlord let himself in :roll: and obviously saw the carpets Oli'd and bunnied. So I'm buying new carpets! :lol::lol::lol: (I'm incredibly lucky that he was really nice about it, but I'm accepting my punishment for going against the rules.

So...to my heartwrenching decision...I think I'm going to have to move all my buns out...as I don't want to decieve my new landlord (even though there's no carpet!;) :lol:) I'm not a deceptive person by nature and so found everything with my last landlord really hard. (I'm just lucky he wasn't angry :oops:) They know I have bunnies...but not that they're indoors. :oops:

I asked my new landlord for a shed/playhouse but they said no, so I've ordered a triple storey 7ftx2ft hutch from Ryedale hutches. clicky...and will sort out runs. (I already have one 7ft hutch in the garden.) This will give the buns at least a 7ft hutch each and either a run or the run of the garden.

I hope you all don't think less of me because I've had to make this decision. :oops: :(:( I can't imagine Teddy not being inside :cry:!

I think its a very sensible think to do. We went to clean up our old place last night that was rented and the doors are chewed and carpets dug at so there is no way we will get our deposit back!

We have just brought a brand new house and Strawberry is outside. We are now thinking about moving Snow out too as she has started digging at the carpets and I dont want them being damaged.

I feel mean but I spent alot of money on the house and I want it to stay nice. I have a playhouse and 10ft run so I am sure Strawbs wont mind being out!

It will be hard after having had your buns inside, but you're being sensible if you're renting. You don't want to end up being chucked out by your new landlord if he's not the understanding type.

i'm not renting but i don't like the damage my bunnies have caused in my home, so now they are always penned, even if the pen is as large as i can make it - unless they are out on a supervised runabout. you are right to do what you need to do to look after yourself as well as your bunnies - you and oli need a home, too. don't think badly of yourself - i'm sure everyone here understands. :wave:

No think you are very sensible. I had Alber and Evie indoors for 6 months and although I love them to bits its much easier having them outside.

Have you already ordered the hutches? If not might be worth looking at sheds anyway they are often cheaper

long as they are loved and happy dont matter where they live hun :D:D:D:D

its only you that will feel sad, the buns will love outside :love::love:

Awwww, poor you :( *hugs*

guess it's the best thing really, you might have got away with it if they weren't the size of horses but it's best to be safe than sorry, I think somewhere to live is more important than having them indoors if you know what I mean. Shame landlord said no to a play house...how mean. :(

hope you all cope with it ok xxx

No think you are very sensible. I had Alber and Evie indoors for 6 months and although I love them to bits its much easier having them outside.

Have you already ordered the hutches? If not might be worth looking at sheds anyway they are often cheaper

I had a look, and asked the landlord for a shed/playhouse(to keep Oliver's junk in ;))...but I think they're worried that I wouldn't move it when I leave (as a shed is huge and bulky...and I might be tempted to leave it where it is.) I already have it in writing allowing hutches......but nowhere did they specify size.

I think Bluebell will adjust really well to outside life, as she's very flighty, and doesn't really like being an indoor bun :(, Pixie adores going outside .....but I don't know what she'll think about staying out overnight!:shock: ......and Teddy and Ruby are going to tug at my heartstrings far too much. They love a romp outside...but when they want to come in they come up to the back door and will stare at me and scratch at the glass until I let them in :lol::lol:. :( I know I'm doing the best.

Now I need to sort out bondings, as it's really not fair on the single girls to stay single!! I'll try again when the hutch comes, and if they don't then I'll have to have a think.......:?

Last edited:
the bit thats sticking out the most "the landlord let himself in " sorry i would of gone nuts, they are not allowed to let themselves in, they gve you min of 24 hrs notice and knock,

Id be more worriedbout other times he might "let himself in ":?

the bit thats sticking out the most "the landlord let himself in " sorry i would of gone nuts, they are not allowed to let themselves in, they gve you min of 24 hrs notice and knock,

Id be more worriedbout other times he might "let himself in ":?

was just about say that.its breach of contract

I'm in a similar situation after my misunderstanding with the landlord. In the new house i am allowed them indoors but i dont want them to cause any more damage (cant afford to repair it!) and i dont want to live in a damaged house. I also dont want to cause any deliberate deception and i couldnt stand the stress again.

They are all big bunnies ay? i think 7ft is a good size for a hutch for big buns, but i'd want them to have permanent access to a run or a LOT of time in their run or the garden each day. Being so big they are more prone to joint and muscle issues so need to be exercising as much as they can.

I'm in a similar situation after my misunderstanding with the landlord. In the new house i am allowed them indoors but i dont want them to cause any more damage (cant afford to repair it!) and i dont want to live in a damaged house. I also dont want to cause any deliberate deception and i couldnt stand the stress again.

They are all big bunnies ay? i think 7ft is a good size for a hutch for big buns, but i'd want them to have permanent access to a run or a LOT of time in their run or the garden each day. Being so big they are more prone to joint and muscle issues so need to be exercising as much as they can.

I plan on permanent runs if possible...but need to sort out how to do it. They are big buns. I hope to get the two singles together!
I'm at home most of the time so they'll get free range time! .....I'm already worrying about winter though!:oops:

I'm a bit suprised your landlord was against a shed - if you did leave it there when you next move then it would be an addition to the garden wouldnt it? Its always handy to have a shed, most of us have junk and outdoor stuff we need to find a home for!

I'm sure they'll be fine outside though, I think it definitely worries us more than them!

I plan on permanent runs if possible...but need to sort out how to do it. They are big buns. I hope to get the two singles together!
I'm at home most of the time so they'll get free range time! .....I'm already worrying about winter though!:oops:

Sorry you have had to make such a difficult decision:(

I think you are being sensible about this as it is better for them to have a good home with you and be loved outside than risk you all ending up homeless.

As they are moving out now, at least they have a chance to grow nice thick coats for the winter. I worried about the foster bunnies out in the cold weather and stuffed the hutch full of hay, covered it and put a heatpad in but they seemed to prefer sitting in the middle of the run or open area of the hutch :)

I think they adapt to being outside especially as it's getting warmer. You can always bring them in for cuddles.

I think they adapt to being outside especially as it's getting warmer. You can always bring them in for cuddles.

I don't know about that....Teddy's just made a hole in the basket of my bugaboo!! :evil::evil::evil: Can I throw him out now?! :shock: :lol::lol::lol: Now my shopping will fall out!! :shock: :roll:

Aside from jokes...it's going to be so lonely without them! :( In the evenings they are my company. Of course they'll come in for cuddles, but there'll come a time when it'll be too cold for them to come in. Then I guess I'll have to get floodlighting for the garden so I can sit outside with them and freeze my bum off!! :lol:
Thanks for being so understanding everyone

Strawberry is spending his first night outside tonight and he isnt liking it! I think he just has the face on because he has left my Mums where he has got used to being pampered and is in a new place and a new playhouse.

Hoping a good run round the garden will liven him up tomorrow!

aww dont worry alot of us are in the same situation..

Im moving all mine out next week :cry::cry::cry: Ive ordered the shed this week.
Im also renting and even though I havent been found out yet - i dont want to take the risk as i dont have permission for indoor rabbits.
Id rather be able to keep my rabbits and have them living outside than all of us having nowhere to live!!!!

Im sure they will be fine - I know what you mean about the company - im going to miss my lot so much but im also planning to wrap up and sit outside with them! :lol:

Just a suggestion - but have you thought of perhaps either not laying carpet UNTIL you move out - so the buns can live in and then you replace carpet as you are leaving (could contract with landlord to do that) OR laying carpet now and then immediately buying cheap non-slip vinyl like the stuff I have to lay over it - we just cut ours to shape and laid it over our stripped floorboards.

That way they could stay in and keep you company:D

Back