• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Poo

Carole

Warren Scout
Hi,

I wonder if you can help me, I have noticed that my female rabbit droppingss have become loose lately.

She only seems to do the loose droppings on the patio slabs of her run. On the grass and in the litter boxes all of them look normal.

In every other way she appears healthy. She eats Science Selective, plenty of hay, and a portion of fresh veg every day.

I will obviously take her to the vet if it continues, but in the meantime is it worth eliminating things from their diet to see if this helps?

Many thanks for any advice - Carole

Mine has those at the moment- too much carrots actually i've found. She usually improves in a couple of days. Are you feeding much veggies?

I've come to the conclusion that my Mini's latest episode of leaving cecals was down to too much sugary things. So I've cut out all carrots, mangetout, peas and baby corn.

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am feeding them with the Science Selective, and their veg consists of a variation of carrots (not many) parsley, corriander, curly leaf kale, greens.

I dont think it is , I dont think it is caecotrophs I do see these, are they supposed to be left uneaten?

Not meaning to be too graphic, there is a variety of droppings in their shed/run, there are the caecotrophs, normal poos and the small amount of diarrhoea, and having two buns it is difficult to know which one is doing it, but I suspect it is the female as I removed a piece of hay that was stuck to her bum!!

I will leave the carrots out today and will take them to the vet for a check up.

Do teeth problems cause this?

Thanks again - Carole

Last edited:
If they don't chew their food properly for it to be digested, it could be teeth related.

I have this with one of mine and we can't get to the bottom of it, we have tried cutting veg down, out etc.

If you can, try to get her to eat more hay and cut back on pellets and veg. The other alternative is to try to change pellet type (Oxbow Bunny Basics T is what I use and noticed an improvement)

Thank you bunnybabe and prettylupin for your help.

PrettyLupin the article you sent is brilliant, I couldnt have described the problem better myself that is exactly as it is with my rabbit.

I must admit I have been guilty in the past of sneaking in the odd shredded wheat type cereal, but I have stopped that now, so hopefully the problem may start to clear up.

I have never had a bunny so food motivated as this girl she is a very big rabbit, but she just loves her food, and me being a soft touch I have to restrain myself for her health not to overfeed her.

Thanks again I am very grateful for everyones help

Carole

Back