• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur and matacam?

vee-jay

Mama Doe
Hey:)
Im hoping someone here can help me. I took my rabbit to the vet today and he was given an injection of Emequell (for his gut I think) and some Metacam (painkiller).
I stupidly forgot to ask if he can continue with his course of panacur or if the drugs could react with it.
Does anyone know if they will or should it be fine to give him his panacur today?
Thanks

I dont know what the Emequell is, but its definately fine to give the panacur with Metacam.
I'm pretty sure it will be fine with the other drug, but hopefully someone else can confirm.

Emequell is given to ease vomiting and nausea, (even though rabbits can't vomit) for what reason did you take your bun to the vet?

rabbit was a bit quiet and a bit off his food (is acting normaly crazy now and is eating more)

Thanks very much:)

Emequell is a brand name of metoclopramide, at gut stimulant (also used as an anti-nausea drug for humans and other species). It's fine to give a the same time as metacam and panacur. It is best given two hours apart from zantac, I believe :)

Emequell is a brand name of metoclopramide, at gut stimulant (also used as an anti-nausea drug for humans and other species). It's fine to give a the same time as metacam and panacur. It is best given two hours apart from zantac, I believe :)

thank you:)
That would explain it...i usually listen to what he is injecting into him but said rabbit had just kicked me in the face so was a bit out of it:lol:

Is the panacur being used to treat for something specific or is it just to routine preventative treatment? If it's just routine I would stop treatment whilst he is a bit upset. It's a safe drug but it will still add a little bit of stress to him, even if it's just the stress of being forced to take it. You can do the preventative treatment again once he is better.

Is the panacur being used to treat for something specific or is it just to routine preventative treatment? If it's just routine I would stop treatment whilst he is a bit upset. It's a safe drug but it will still add a little bit of stress to him, even if it's just the stress of being forced to take it. You can do the preventative treatment again once he is better.

One of my other buns was showing signs of EC, so all of them are on the panacur....about 17 days into i think.
He is being a good lad and taking it off a treat. I dont know what was up with him earlier to be hounest as he seems fine now:lol:, trying to worry me i guess.

Norty bunneh!

yeh:lol:...vet wanted to check his teeth...Ebony didnt want his teeth checked:roll:
This resulted in him flying in the air and kicking of ma chin...i have a lovely cut all along it now:evil:

Back